Speed scout or speed hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowfisher

Speed scout or speed hunt

Unread postby Bowfisher » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:35 am

if you find you only have a tiny amount of time in the evening, say 2 hours. What do you do with it, if you decide to dedicate it to deer. Do some quick scouting, maybe drive around looking for deer or hunting pressure, glass? Or do you attempt a quick hunt, maybe a decent spot close to the road, maybe hit that tiny thick patch next to the parking lot people overlook.. what do you do?

I've been dealing with this lately and have mostly done the scouting. Now that November is here I'm thinking about trying some quick Minnie hunts off the ground to conserve time.

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Speed scout or speed hunt

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 am

Find the sign, hunt it.
battlinbill

Unread postby battlinbill » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:44 am

I have the same issue. I try to have those spots picked out. And yeah, the ground is where I go to stay quiet. I tuck into a dead fall or against a big tree in a shadow. Its a low percentage hunt I think, but better than a no percentage couch. Can't say I see many deer though. Not that there are many to see up here in the woods.

Definitely interested in what people like to do for last minute unscouted hunts.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:58 am

Rich M wrote:Find the sign, hunt it.

This.

Scout with your weapon. If you find hot sign hunt it. If you run out of light it was a good scouting trip.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:58 am

Don't ever go in the woods to scout without a weapon during season. Even if it is a quick scout trip or to pull a trail cam real quick. Last time I did that I had a 140" 9 pt try to come shake my hand.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”