From climber to hang-on and sticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adelle26
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464870057

From climber to hang-on and sticks

Unread postby adelle26 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Since I'm new to beast hunting I don't yet own a hang on stand and climbing sticks, but realize it's the only way to get truly mobile..The only treestands I am really familiar and comfortable with are ladders and my Summit climber. My only experience with a hang on stand is when my dad set me up in a one when I first started bowhunting in 2005. It was a rickety old stand with sketchy climbing steps screwed into the tree and I remember feeling so nervous.

How many of you made the switch from Summit to hang ons, how difficult was it for you? Did it become second nature once you got the hang of it? I want to save up and get the lone wolf alpha 2 and sticks.
Last edited by adelle26 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wild and wonderful
North Arrow Taxidermy
Jonny
500 Club

Re: From climber to hang-on and sticks

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 pm

I made the switch. I will say wait until the offseason to do it, and practice until you are blue in the face.

Practiced all summer and hunted all season in my assault. Not easy to switch, but well worth it and I won’t go back to my summit for bow season after this year. Gun only for that thing

Any questions on practicing tips let me know. Best advice is hang the stand on the ground until you can do it with your eyes closed, perfectly.

Then do it on sticks
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
adelle26
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464870057

Unread postby adelle26 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Jonny wrote:I made the switch. I will say wait until the offseason to do it, and practice until you are blue in the face.

Practiced all summer and hunted all season in my assault. Not easy to switch, but well worth it and I won’t go back to my summit for bow season after this year. Gun only for that thing

Any questions on practicing tips let me know. Best advice is hang the stand on the ground until you can do it with your eyes closed, perfectly.

That's what I'm thinking too. Too late to change now, but I will for sure practice during the spring and summer. Thank you
wild and wonderful
North Arrow Taxidermy
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:56 pm

I hunted out of strictly Summit stands for 15 years before making the switch to a Lone Hang on and sticks. It was an easy transition and I immediately realized it was for me and never looked back. I always hunted mobile but was severely limited to certain trees with a climber. Since then I have also added a tree saddle and liking that more every day.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:05 pm

I went from a LW climber to a hang on with sticks. I practiced with everything before the season so by the time the season came I was already used to setting up and taking down. What I found to help make everything easier is using a lineman belt. It allows you to use both hands when setting up the sticks and stand. After being able to get in any tree I wouldn't go back to a climber. Only thing I miss about my hand climber is how light everything was, hang on and sticks is a lot heavier.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:08 pm

I was using a Summit along with a saddle when I bought the old style 8.5lb LW about a week in to the season last year. To be honest, the biggest " game changer" for me was a good safety harness. I hunted most of the season last year without a safety harness and it just wasn't comfortable to me as I was used to having something around me. I set my safety harness just high enough that I can barely feel it around my chest while I'm sitting. I Love my lock on now.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Was a really easy switch for me. As soon as I saw how many more trees I had the option to climb it was a no brainer, but I did quiet my API climber and Summit viper with stealth strips and use them for a season while trying these tactics and it can be done. GO SLOOOW! Pay attention to the details if it's metal it makes noise. I'll second the good harness statement. The crappy ones provided by most stands are better then nothing. But I like my HSS much much better.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 pm

For me it was easy. I don’t like how heavy the hang on and sticks or how many more opportunities there are for noises but it gets me where I need to go. I use my sticks and hang on when I know there are no trees for a climber or I’m going to a new area. I use my climber when I know there’s a good tree for it. If you’re athletic it’s an easy switch. If you’re not it will take some practice.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Jhand wrote:What I found to help make everything easier is using a lineman belt. It allows you to use both hands when setting up the sticks and stand.

I went mobile this year, and found it easy. Used a lineman belt for the first time and it's amazing. Makes it very easy. I only wish I had talons, because I am still up-down up-down to get set up. Adds a few minutes but I'm still quiet, just more movement than I'd like.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Lineman's ropes are a life saver when using a hang on. I use two so that if I encounter a branch on the way up I can attach the second rope above the branch and disconnect the one below. This way I am always connected. I also second the statement that you need to be on the athletic side for a hang on to be enjoyable. The stand and sticks and anything else you strap to your back can be a bit heavy at first. You get used to it after a few hunts though. Watch a few videos on how people set up their hang ons and practice a few times until you're comfortable and can do it fairly quietly. I like to tie everything together so I can get up the tree in one trip without having to come back down. I think figuring out how to do this effectively was the biggest learning curve for me.

A headlamp is also very useful if you're hanging in the dark or climbing down at night. Once you get the hang of it I think you'll love how versatile you can be and how many more trees you can get into.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:24 pm

I dumped hang ons and sticks several years back. To much weight, to long to set up and take down, and having kids, I ended up having to set up 2 stands when they came along. So, I learned how to use a climber on less then perfect trees that forced me to come up with a way to get around limbs. I use 2 treestraps and a rock climbing harness to be able to stay connected 100% of the time, and I use the rock climbing harness to aid in keeping me suspended while I move the bottom section around any limbs or Ys in a tree. Even use my Lone Wolf hand climber platform to rest my belly on while moving the bottom section around limbs as well, all the while being tied into the tree with a treestrap connected to my rock climbing harness.

Way less weight, much faster, quieter, and mobile.

Got the feel for hanging in the rock climbing harness from wall climbing, and I hunted in a Guidos Web for a season too. That gave you an entirely new feeling of hunting suspended from a tree. Having a complete treestand at your command is a massive luxury. Those that use a linesmen belt to set steps are nuts as far as I'm concerned, as that tool is not connected to the tree AND requires another force to keep you suspended, either a tree limb that it catches on OR your outward pressure to keep you in the air. If you are properly connected to your rock climbing harness, then a treestrap can not let you fall.

I use a qsafe treestrap. It is way faster and quieter then a standard treestrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qekbpp4gUx4
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 pm

I've hunted mobile out of climbers, mainly Ol man, for nearly 20 years. Bought an assault and sticks several years ago for moving in on deer where climbing trees didn't exist.

I would use it a few times a season but this is the first year that I've been using it on a regular basis. At first, set up seems clumsy and slow but I've gotten more fluid with it the more I use it. Twice in the last week I've had does get to within 40 yards while putting it up so I think that speaks to the quietness of the system.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:08 pm

The key is in your safety gear-linemans belt and harness. After that, its easy. Im as comfortable 15-20 feet up strapped in as I am driving my truck. Just 2nd nature anymore...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:23 pm

I’m 10x more comfortable hanging my stand and sticks, and hunting out of a hang on than I am in my climber. Wearing my rock climbing harness for both, and using a linemans belt too for the hang on.

Kevin2 wrote:I dumped hang ons and sticks several years back. To much weight, to long to set up and take down, and having kids, I ended up having to set up 2 stands when they came along. So, I learned how to use a climber on less then perfect trees that forced me to come up with a way to get around limbs. I use 2 treestraps and a rock climbing harness to be able to stay connected 100% of the time, and I use the rock climbing harness to aid in keeping me suspended while I move the bottom section around any limbs or Ys in a tree. Even use my Lone Wolf hand climber platform to rest my belly on while moving the bottom section around limbs as well, all the while being tied into the tree with a treestrap connected to my rock climbing harness.

Way less weight, much faster, quieter, and mobile.

Got the feel for hanging in the rock climbing harness from wall climbing, and I hunted in a Guidos Web for a season too. That gave you an entirely new feeling of hunting suspended from a tree. Having a complete treestand at your command is a massive luxury. Those that use a linesmen belt to set steps are nuts as far as I'm concerned, as that tool is not connected to the tree AND requires another force to keep you suspended, either a tree limb that it catches on OR your outward pressure to keep you in the air. If you are properly connected to your rock climbing harness, then a treestrap can not let you fall.

I use a qsafe treestrap. It is way faster and quieter then a standard treestrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qekbpp4gUx4

All the arborists I know swear by linemans belt, and have seen one lose his footing climbing up. Fell and slipped no farther than if I was attached and girth hitched around a tree
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:42 pm

WISCOANDY wrote:
Jhand wrote:What I found to help make everything easier is using a lineman belt. It allows you to use both hands when setting up the sticks and stand.

I went mobile this year, and found it easy. Used a lineman belt for the first time and it's amazing. Makes it very easy. I only wish I had talons, because I am still up-down up-down to get set up. Adds a few minutes but I'm still quiet, just more movement than I'd like.

Simply tie small paracord to each side of your harness making a loop then and hang the sticks on them. This way you have two hanging on you no hands needed, put the first stick on the tree and carry the second stick in your hand to place above the first. Now just reach down and grab the sticks out of the ropes.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”