Prime time is here, wind is not ideal. What do you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Prime time is here, wind is not ideal. What do you do?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:14 am

Now that we are in the best 10-15 days of the year for rut activity, what do you guys do when you have limited stand locations, and the not so perfect wind keeps coming? I cant hunt anywhere else during the week due to time limitations, kids birthdays, etc... Its either push your chances or don't hunt.

So...push chances in the thicker stuff, or hunt a less likely location like a food plot with a perfect wind?

I really don't want to educate my doe groups, but this time of year anything can happen too.

These spots I'm thinking of would have deer possibly wind me after they pass by.

The weather man is doing a terrible job on the hourly wind direction this year too I noticed. Yesterday I climbed down after 20 mins.

muddy

Re: Prime time is here, wind is not ideal. What do you do?

Unread postby muddy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:42 am

Any way you can fudge your stand location to make the wind more ideal?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:04 am

I would tweak my set up or hunt one of the lesser areas. Then I would look into setups for the future if the issue comes up again. Put as many trucks in the bag as you can. I purposely have 10-15 "quick" spots just for such occasions. Some are only a few minutes from the parking areas. I don't consider them lesser spots because they pay off. The issue is they have higher risk of human intrusion. If it comes down to only having an hour to hunt or going home...I'm hitting these spots.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Hunt mornings, hunt high and let the thermals work there magic
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Well, I hunted the food plots since the conditions were similar to last time he showed up there in daylight. I shot him an hour before dark. I picked up the trail but was a little too soon and bumped him, so I backed out. Im internet searching on hits and blood types again...
Ill post a new thread for that.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Nothing ventured nothing gained! Sometimes just off wind makes for a great sit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Like boogie said, don't underestimate thermals. If you get some good sunlight hitting the ground, odds are your scent will climb and wind won't matter as much. Crack open some milkweed
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:46 pm

I struggle with this too. This year Im pushing to my best areas and playing thermals. On Saturday, I watched 9 deer come from ways I wasnt expecting based on spring bed scouting and current sign. This time of year? They come from all directions and are very unpredictable.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 am

johndeere506 wrote:Well, I hunted the food plots since the conditions were similar to last time he showed up there in daylight. I shot him an hour before dark. I picked up the trail but was a little too soon and bumped him, so I backed out. Im internet searching on hits and blood types again...
Ill post a new thread for that.

Sounds like the less likely location paid off in this case. I'm always willing to push the issue this time of the year because you never know.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”