Rut Cruising in Hills

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Rut Cruising in Hills

Unread postby DaHunter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:54 am

Will bucks cruise a N/S ridge on a south wind? Or only on E/W winds? Got a ridge with some hot sign but winds with be straight from the south.

BradC36

Re: Rut Cruising in Hills

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 am

I don't see big bucks cruising ridges often in that type of situation except for last night, saw one following a doe on a N/S ridge with a S wind. Could be because he was on the doe, I think with wind at their back they wouldn't be picking up on the doe scent they are looking for.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:02 am

In my experience, they will cruise non-leeward sides, just not as often as the leeward side. Bucks can't always be on the leeward side, because at some point the ridge ends, and they will need to use other means to travel to the next doe bedding area. That other means may be a non-leeward side, bottoms, etc. I'm also not convinced that does always bed on the leeward side. It seems like good doe bedding gets used regardless of wind, and bucks will check it.

One thing to keep in mind is if a buck is cruising a N-S ridge with a S wind, if he comes from the N he may smell you.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:17 am

Thanks guys! I just wasn't sure if they would travel wind to back (heading north) perpendicular to E/W trails going up the hill from the bottoms. I have a spot for a south wind but the sign is not as good.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 am

I would say no
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:07 pm

That is not really a question that can be definitively answered. I have seen bucks cruising a N/S ridge with any wind you can imagine.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm sure it happens and I'm sure there may hve been a few bucks here and there over the years that I have seen do this but I would guess its not very often. Me, personally if it were to happen I would hope that the N to S ridge had a saddle because thats where I would be set up as I believe that would be a mans best chance.
Hunt Hard or Go Home

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”