I HATE SWAMPS

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tricospinner

I HATE SWAMPS

Unread postby tricospinner » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:01 am

I’m female and short legged. I hate swamps- but when i see a trail of a big buck going through them I can’t resist.
This wknd I hurriedly crossed two swamps and both times broke through getting my feet wet. yesterday was scary bc I was in a bog swamp and I got scared when I felt my boot submerge. had to make a fire to dry off. Swamps scare the crap out of me not to mention they exhaust me to the core- I’m swearing off walking in them again. no safe way to cross them it seems. Does anyone have any tricks? I can’t think of any and don’t suggest waders bc for me it’s about having the strength to get unstuck and not panic.. I think I should best avoid them

vtbuck
500 Club

Re: I HATE SWAMPS

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 am

I love swamps. Less pressure cause the normal hunter is lazy and won’t go places that r hard to get to, especially wet places. Shot my second biggest buck in a big wet swamp.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 am

:lol: Great post! That would be me up and down. Im glad iv never even seen one, you all can keep them!
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 am

I never used them and know they can be cumbersome but they do make marsh skis. Not sure how quite they are and how tangled your swamps are since they are long boards essentially.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:19 pm

Bend the cattails to the side with your feet and walk on them if possible.
Joe™
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:33 pm

The more you travel in swamps the better you get at them, you recognize where to step where you have better odds of not falling through. With that said I have spend my whole life on bogs hunting ducks and deer and I dunk my boots maybe 5-6 times a year, it use to be a lot more. Scouting is worse because I'm more focused on sign that looking where I step, I get wet about every trip out. There is really nothing to fear, just keep moving and you warm up. Had snow and temps in the upper 20's on Saturday, dunked a book and kept on going. Sat for 3 hours that morning, surprisingly both feet got cold about the same time, one was dry and the other was swimming in water. I was going to dump it out but never got around to it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:54 pm

I have a love - hate relationship with swamps. I love the deer they hold, but hate walking thru them!

I'm just learning to "deal with it" this year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:04 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:Bend the cattails to the side with your feet and walk on them if possible.

This. I think Dan's marsh video has a section on how to walk through a marsh. It takes time and even then you'll end up in boot sucking muck and water and bogs and stuff that makes you wish you were on high ground. Unfortunately it's part of the deal.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:10 pm

Ive been using hip boots. Not muck boots that usually get filled up but not waders either. Half-way inbetween in length..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Hip boots are best because you can strap them to a waist belt. If you get sucked in muck it makes it much easier to pull out without losing a boot.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to walk in this stuff. I deal with it daily. Take your time and work your way thru picking the easiest routes. Keeping your balance especially when loaded down with gear is the hardest part.

Word of advice......if the vegetation is moving like you are walking on a waterbed back out and find a different route. Floating bogs can be especially dangerous. You just never know how much water is under them. I have gone in to my armpits already and never felt bottom. Luckily I was able to grab cattails on the way down or the marsh may have swallowed me up. :o
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:06 pm

tgreeno wrote:I have a love - hate relationship with swamps. I love the deer they hold, but hate walking thru them!

I'm just learning to "deal with it" this year.

Totally agree walked through a messy swamp yesterday it's like a puzzle finding the places water doesn't go above boots.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03 pm

Marshes are easier to deal with on a wet year than swamps. We've had the wettest year anyone around here can remember. The swamps are miserable. I generally breath a sigh of relief when I hit the cattails. I'm beginning to see that the deer are using the periphery more than normal. But I agree with Dewey, Hip boots make it much more easy to keep your boots on your feet.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:22 pm

I'd like to see a knee boot with a 12 inch flap of neoprene you can fold up or down to kind of turn your regular boots into something close to hip waders.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Embrace the suck :lol:

Yeah I don't think anybody can say they love swamp hunting. They just love hunting what the swamp holds

Best mentality I found, is wear knee boots (or good hip boots) and go in with the expectation of getting wet. When you do, then it doesn't feel as bad cause you are mentally prepared for it. Dump the water out, wring out the wool sock, and keep on chugging along.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:34 am

I love swamps and marshes... They are intimidating to new hunters cause of the unknowns. But the more you do it, the better and more accustomed you get. My advice to someone starting out would be to stick with it, step onto and fold over vegetation so your standing on its roots. Avoid stepping in the center of trails cause deer hooves cut thru and make spots for you to put a boot thru. Go slow, its not a race, take your time, plan your wrought ahead of you. And rather than fearing, or cursing the hardness, embrace it and realize your among an elite few who can take on what mother nature dishes out. There should be a feeling of accomplishment.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”