Scrapes... to hunt or not to hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tkelite35

Scrapes... to hunt or not to hunt

Unread postby tkelite35 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:44 am

I have heard most scrape activity occurs at night. If true, there is no point hunting them. Any thoughts on whether to hunt scrapes or not?
Thanks, Tom

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Scrapes... to hunt or not to hunt

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:49 am

Depends on the scrape and location and timing. I can post countless daytime bucks hitting scrapes. I can also post tons at night.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:05 am

Are scrapes are not equal. I like the first scrape out of bedding. Have had good luck hunting them. I have noticed bucks like to j hook them to scent check them. Setting just off them has paid off for me.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:29 am

I agree with Oldrank. Scrapes are made when a buck travels from bed to a food source, water source, doe bedding etc. Scrapes in the thick are better than field edge scrapes. Set a trail camera up over a scrape in the thick and I guarantee you will get pictures of bucks using them. :think: This is one reason I like trail cameras, they can help you learn what is good and what is not so good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:54 am

I think you get a lot of young bucks in daylight at scrapes. Some mature bucks but not as frequent. The best scrapes are near bedding where they feel safe visiting in daylight but they may also be the hardest to access.
RexIV_4088

Unread postby RexIV_4088 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 am

I agree with all that have replied. Not all scrapes are created equal. Those in cover/close proximity to bedding are probably your best bet. Also it might be best to hunt the down wind side of them as well.

I love a camera on a hot scrape. Lots of different bucks, great for inventory!

Good luck!

Rex
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:11 am

Like everyone else for me to setup on a scrape it has to be close to a bedding area. If you find a spot where multiply bucks are bedding regular a scrape near there is like finding gold. And on the opposite end if you see a scrape in the open or on an edge you can disregard that one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”