Mid-day movement.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Mid-day movement.

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:51 am

Never seen much movement in open areas at mid day but have seen some in the woods. I wouldn't say it's high odds but it happens enough to give it a try. Most people don't believe hunting public for big bucks is high odds but many of us on here do it every year and are successful. You don't shoot a big one every day you go but the more you can be out the better your odds.

MIbuckmaster14

Unread postby MIbuckmaster14 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:05 am

Two years ago I shot a nice 9pt at 11:45 am, he was crossing doe trails with his head down I believe Nov 3rd. This past weekend 10/28, I saw a 6pt doing the same thing around 11:15am. I believe the cold weather and time of year has a lot to do with mid day movement.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:33 am

Someone above mentioned hunters heading out of the woods for lunch, and bumping deer on their way. If for no other reason than this, It's favorable to sit all day during the rut I believe. I don't care if the odds of a deer coming by my stand from 10-2 are 0%, I will still sit all day when I go out during the rut. Because if you leave the woods in the middle of the day you're causing a disturbance in the woods both on your way out, then back in. This reduces the odds of seeing deer upon your return in the evening. Therefore, sitting all day gives you a higher chance of seeing a big buck moving in daylight.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:50 am

I have had very good luck midday with mature bucks during the rut. Had one come through at 11:45 last Friday. I focus on doe bedding, or funnels between doe bedding, and a lot of the spots I hunt deep in the timber, the does do not usually get back to bed until after 10. So, 10-2 makes perfect sense to me for buck movement during the rut. 10-2 are the most likely hours for does to be in their bedding areas, and therefore the easiest time for a buck to find them. But, all that being said, a buck has to feel comfortable moving in the middle of the day, and that takes a certain amount of cover, so not all spots are midday spots.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:58 am

Midday is where it’s at.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:57 am

One thing you can do to make it feel like its not so long of a sit is sleep in and get in your stand around 9-10 and sit the rest of the day. This will also keep you from blowing deer out of the fields in the dark if you have to cross any. Sleeping in once in a while will help keep your batteries charged up too.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:59 am

I usually sit into mid day this time of year. I've seen them move in cover but think your wasting your time sitting field edges. I sat this morn from before legal to 1130am then was back in another stand at 130pm. Saw total of 4 deer all day. Some days are slow
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:19 pm

looking to do an all day sit this Thursday. Would love to have some action between 10-2. I’ve seen some bucks during that time but I don’t think I do it enough.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:03 pm

During Nov 3,4,5,6,7,8 my favorite time is 9-1. My thoughts are that bucks move all night and bed down at daylight. To rest a lil.... wait till roughly 830-9 for does to bed from evening activities.... then bucks get up and check known doe bedding locals within or even outside their core areas. Typically doing it with some type of pattern "circuit" or often a loop
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Most of my sits from late Oct-mid November are all day sits. I day trip up to my hunting location, get up at 2:30am, travel for a couple hours, get into the stand a good hour before sun up so that I beat the deer there. Then I sit all day long till sun down AND then back home UNLESS I bag a deer!

I've shot 5 out of the last 6 deer in the mid day hours. The key is, you have to actually be there the entire time. It is not like sun up and sun down where it is pretty exact. They might be out at 11am one day, and 2:45 the next. You see lots going on that a early and late hunter won't. Like seeing bucks leave their bed at 3pm, and then arriving back to that know bed the next morning at 10am.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 pm

The 2 biggest bucks I've ever seen was between 10am and 11am while driving away from hunting.

Both would've broke 170 one was on public land years ago one on private.

So during the rut midday can be amazing.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:06 am

Midday movement is true, thick cover is best.

My absolute most productive time is between 9 and 11 am. That is subject to change but I've seen 90% of the mature bucks I've ever seen in that time-frame.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:21 am

I did an all day sit Sunday and the only movement I saw was between 10-3. Had a big mature 8 come through with 2 does at 3 but couldn’t get a shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”