Mn Rut Report

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mnfisher92

Mn Rut Report

Unread postby Mnfisher92 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Curious what everyone from Mn is seeing for rut activity?

I hunt the west metro and I've been seeing more rubs and scrapes. Haven't seen any bucks chasing. And many does are still in groups

ChasingFLATS86

Re: Mn Rut Report

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:13 am

I hunted south of mille lacs this past weekend. I seen a small buck following a doe with his nose to the ground on Friday (10 min before legal shooting light was over) then seen a nice buck and doe around 200 yards away. He wasn't pushing her hard but was following her around (between 3 and 4 in the afternoon.)
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
tricospinner

Unread postby tricospinner » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 am

I kicked up a buck this wknd- been seeing a few more scrapes.. that’s about it
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 am

Last Wednesday I came accross the first rubs + scrapes in SE metro...on more than one property. Witnessed smaller bucks nose to ground in a hurry. Its coming... :mrgreen:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Muncy

Unread postby Muncy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:22 pm

I work for Bnsf railway and travel from Mpls to Fargo and then back the next day. Anyway, i travel thru a lot of great hunting land. I saw the biggest buck I’ve seen in years (6 yr old mature, 180 plus guessing) next to the track close to another buck. This was about 10:00am. 10/28/17. Near Buffalo state park. Lots of vehicles parked out there hunting that trip. Was jealous i wasnt in a tree instead of a locomotive. I’ve got several days off for rifle season so I’m pumped. Like how the weather and moon phase are lining up!
Muncy

Unread postby Muncy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Just want to clarify that when i said there was a lot of vehicles parked out there on the morning of the 28th i meant A stretch from St cloud thru Staples. I’ve seen o lot of deer recently on trips and more and more bucks are showing up during shooting hours.
timberninja

Unread postby timberninja » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Been seeing good deer numbers in the North West, new rubs and scrapes each time I'm in the woods. Does don't seem to be being hassled too much yet. Haven't seen any real "chasing." Have a feeling its about to break loose though.
bcarey

Unread postby bcarey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 am

(copied and pasted from my post in the main rut report thread)

Sat last night in S. central MN. 20-30mph winds and at 515pm a switch was flipped. New to this beast hunting stuff so I just went to a usual cruising spot between 3 bedding areas where I always see deer (including my biggest I've ever seen in my life @ 5 yards, two years ago to the day but thats a whole nother story.) but went in a little deeper than I normally do. Nothing from 3-515 and then I thought I heard a grunt but wasn't so sure with the wind blowing the way it was. Pretty soon I see 2 little forks heading my way and a button buck in tow. The 2 forks headed towards one of the bedding areas and the button fed along and split away from those two. 5 minutes later I see a basket racked 8, nose to the ground. Pretty soon another buck came from the same trail as the first bucks. Not long after that another buck came from the same spot as the basket rack but nothing big. 6 bucks seen between 515 and 550pm but nothing older than 2.5 yo :cry: good night overall watching them, how they move, the trails they took and where it led them to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”