Should I give it another try?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mathewshooter

Should I give it another try?

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Last Tuesday I had a staredown with a big 10 point while at full draw. He was facing directly at me and I decided not to take that shot. Eventually, I couldnt hold the bow back any longer and had to let down which caused him to spook. He didnt run far and didnt have his tail up. He didnt snort either. He ran about 50 yards and slowly walked away. I'm not sure if I should go try to hunt that spot again yet or not? How long should I wait to try him again?

I take my Bowhunting seriously
Net Guy
500 Club

Re: Should I give it another try?

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:26 pm

I'd go after him the next available hunt you have. Not sure if he's still there but sounds like he wasn't too spooked. Only one way to find out..... ;)
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Well my advice is you won't kill that buck if you aren't going after him ;)

I'd go back in there the next day I could with a similar or exact same wind, but wouldn't sit the same tree. I'd expect him to go in there looking for you, so plan ahead, maybe sit downwind of your tree in case he tries to wind you again? I also have heard stories of deer following your trail right to the tree to see where you went.

Best of luck! It takes a lot of guts to not take that shot. I know plenty of guys that would, and most of them know their odds with that shot haven't been good.

Hope you get to add a picture to him in the kill zone
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:55 am

Jonny wrote:Well my advice is you won't kill that buck if you aren't going after him ;)

I'd go back in there the next day I could with a similar or exact same wind, but wouldn't sit the same tree. I'd expect him to go in there looking for you, so plan ahead, maybe sit downwind of your tree in case he tries to wind you again? I also have heard stories of deer following your trail right to the tree to see where you went.

Best of luck! It takes a lot of guts to not take that shot. I know plenty of guys that would, and most of them know their odds with that shot haven't been good.

Hope you get to add a picture to him in the kill zone

It was a tough decision for sure. It was like I had the Devil on one shoulder and an Angel on the other fighting over whether or not to shoot. I just wasn't 100% sure of the probability of it being a lethal shot so I passed. He was only 15 yards away, so making the shot would have been no problem. I have multiple stands around his large bedding area so hopefully I'll get another crack at him. Its public land so you never know for sure.
I take my Bowhunting seriously

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”