Had encounters stay or go

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackCoverBowHunter

Had encounters stay or go

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Saturday night I had two pretty good encounters with two different bucks. Had one in shooting range but it was just to dark to take the shot. I saw where they were coming from. So, I talked the wife into letting me out in the woods on Tuesday. Do I move in closer on them or do I keep doing what I have been this season, moving to new spots. I was hoping to get some beast insight. This year I have not sat in the same woods twice and I am really digging it. New views and always new optimisism. But putting my eyes on these two has me wanting to move in. Also, that buck was past me before i got down. But I definatly was not super stealthy on my exit. Thanks for any help!

Extreme Effort Only
hunter10
500 Club

Re: Had encounters stay or go

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Sounds like you answered your own question. You want to hunt it again. Give it a try ya never know
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:11 am

hunter10 wrote:Sounds like you answered your own question. You want to hunt it again. Give it a try ya never know

Thanks, I guess I wanted some of that reassurance. I have been making great decisions on winds and setups and where and when to hunt an area. I think I can move in on these guys. Best of luck to you!
Extreme Effort Only
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:36 am

I think it'd be worth one more sit by maybe move closer to where they came from. Don't Make the same mistake of sitting too far back and by moving at least your hunting a new spot even if it's not far away. Good luck
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:58 am

Thanks, I have already mapped the area and the wind will be similar to how it was on Saturday. So I should be able to set up about 100 yards closer. After researching my maps and waypoints. I did find 2 beds and a scape on the opposite side of the point. So if those bucks are still bedding there I should be able to get a shot. The beds are roughly 170 yards to the west and there is a great thick transition between us. Fingers crossed. Hoping Tuesday night I am posting a kill. Thanks again guys.
Extreme Effort Only
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:26 am

So I wanted to let you know... I went in to hunt that spot. I was going to sit in a location closer to where I thought he was bedding... I did that but... The wind in the area I sat, the wind was different that the predominant wind. Where I sat it was a strict north wind. at the bedding area it was a west wind. Well to make a long story short he bedded in a different location due to this and I jumped him walking in. It was actually close to a walking trail and caught me totally off guard to see him there. Well the rest of that night went that way.. I still hunted the area I picked. got in there nice and quiet and climbed up like a ninja, but there was nothing happening... I think it was a good learning experience for sure.
Extreme Effort Only

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”