last minute hunt questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

battlinbill

last minute hunt questions

Unread postby battlinbill » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:51 am

New to bowhunting and deer hunting earlier than mid November gun season. Due to family and work, I often do not get to plan my hunts in advance. I sometimes find myself with an open afternoon. I have permission to hunt on literally thousands of acres to hunt, not to mention some multi-thousand acre public tracts close by...in Vermont. terrible buck to doe ratio, low deer numbers, lots of woods. Also, my favorite evening spot recently got taken over, and ruined, by the land owner's cousin. I can still hunt there, but his access route and timing have ruined it. Saw 2 does my first evening hunt there and nothing since.

Due to work and family, I have only lightly scouted much of this area, or hunted it during firearms in previous years. Sign is generally light, buck sign is not often abundant, but I'll settle for a doe for the freezer.

If you had a random afternoon or morning and permission to hunt an unscouted location how would you go about setting up? What type of sign would you set up over? There are no oaks, tons of uneaten apples, though not many lone, backwoods trees still holding apples.

Bedbug

Re: last minute hunt questions

Unread postby Bedbug » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:13 am

I understand what it's like to have limited nights to hunt but I personally would start doing observation sits. In areas that stand out to you. Burning a couple hunting nights to observe an area even finding just doe groups and there patterns can be hugely rewarding in the next 3 weeks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”