Bumped buck vs doe??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blakebry123

Bumped buck vs doe??

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:42 am

What’s up guys? Just curious, for the more steady beast hunters, have you noticed a difference in the way a mature buck reacts when being bumped vs a doe? For example, maybe a buck blows more than a doe or vice versa? Thanks and much appreciated!!

Instagram: live_to_ride_94
Snapchat: blakebry123

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and share my videos:
https://youtu.be/DQ1qTOOgfKo
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Bumped buck vs doe??

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 am

In my experience when they are spooked badly they tend to cover more ground before they stop.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:54 pm

My experience has been that does blow like crazy and bucks are usually silent. I find that if you are down wind, a lot of bucks will let you get pretty close before they "bust out" of their beds. Very rarely do have a buck blow at me.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Honestly the more I think about your question the heavier it gets for me. Since applying this stuff iv experienced so many different things.

I agree w the fact that majority of the time its does blowing up the woods. Most times I just pray they are quiet! The theory that bucks wont do the same is completely false in my experiences. However that varies w older bucks and the situation. I think theyll blow up the woods more often in the dark and in velvet. Many times in the dark, they let me almost step on them. Whenever they stage in the mornings, in the pitch black- they'll stand there and watch you walk right to them!

My last experience was midday, he was bedded low close to a creek, I was able to get 40 yards before he jumped up bc I walked quietly on large rocks. He was quiet jumping up too, ran to thick cover to cover his rack, and tried to spot me couldn't and left the area after 15 secs. I noticed the same reaction w the Hunting Public guys' video jumping up the big MO buck and they got even closer then me. That footage was really cool bc the vuck couldnt see w the grass tangled up on his rack!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:17 pm

There's a difference in blowing up the woods and one huff. Couple times iv heard them huff or blow on that first jolt jumping up off the ground then be quiet.

One time we did a observation sit in a huge open field during summer. We had a perfect, steady 10mph wind in our faces and a nice solid shooter buck had got up and walked right at us from the side. Saw us moving and took off like a mule deer across the field. Huffed the entire way like a old mature doe... He made it to the tree line, took cover and blew up the whole woods again...My buddy and I just sat there in shock bc never had seen big buck do that before.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”