No clear cut leeward ridges for a W wind??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

No clear cut leeward ridges for a W wind??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:39 pm

What do you see bucks doing in situations where most all the valleys run west to east so you only have windward and leeward sides with northerly and southerly winds?

-Would they gravitate to whatever is the best leeward action they can get for cruising?

I have a new property that unexpectedly became available to me and the topography is all west/east oriented. There are several that are not purely E/W of course. Should I be looking at that to hopefully find cruising bucks on a blind sit?

Will bucks travel long distances to find a leeward advantage if they don’t already have bedding there? I guess I just don’t see a mature buck saying to himself “It’s a west wind today, gotta find me a north/south valley...”

Thanks.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club

Re: No clear cut leeward ridges for a W wind??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Wanted to bump this up....
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 pm

I look at the situation from "where is the bedding" and "What separates the bedding" . Is there leeward ridges inbetween? It don't have to be exactly leeward, it can come across on an angle... Which side is "more leeward"... If all else fails, expect them to follow thick cover from one bedding area to the next in the shortest wrought. Sign don't lie. So look for historical rut rublines that draw a line between the bedding areas. And if your hoping for a chance at a mature buck, stauy away from the middl3e, and crowd the bedding on one side or the other unless you have some unique feature in terrain that has multiple cruslines intersecting, then give that a shot.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:34 am

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”