Hunting in the Rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hunting in the Rain

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:05 am

Its late October. Bucks are starting to move well here in daylight. Have you guys seen good movement in the rain or do you think it slows the movements down? Not a total downpour but forecast shows .001-.003 each hour in this evenings forecast.

I have some awesome Rain gear to use this year, but dont recall ever seeing much in the rain.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Hunting in the Rain

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:22 am

I'm going to be a wuss and say I don't know because I generally don't hunt in the rain. I used to bit found it to just be too unpleasant. If I'm not having fun then I'm done. Additionally I didn't like all the extra equipment care that was required post hunt. Blowing the bow dry with a compressor, same for stand and sticks. Don't want that hardware to rust. Most of it is aluminum bit there are some steel parts like the axles on the bow or the hardware on the sticks and stand. Blood trails wash away quickly in the rain. All just adds up to a pass for me. I give serious props to those that do it. That's more dedication then I possess.
Light passing drizzle, okay, but steady rain for the duration, no thanks.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:06 am

I arrowed a good buck in a total deluge in 1986. That said I have never seen much in heavy rains. Light rains yes.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:15 am

I enjoy hunting in the rain with good rain gear. Something very soothing and relaxing to me. Best scenario for me is steady rain when I walk in and set up and then quitting just before prime time. I usually see excellent movement when this happens. Seems to really get them on their feet especially when they have scrapes to tend to.

If it's a real heavy downpour I wouldn't take a shot for tracking reasons.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I'm going to be a wuss and say I don't know because I generally don't hunt in the rain. I used to bit found it to just be too unpleasant. If I'm not having fun then I'm done. Additionally I didn't like all the extra equipment care that was required post hunt. Blowing the bow dry with a compressor, same for stand and sticks. Don't want that hardware to rust. Most of it is aluminum bit there are some steel parts like the axles on the bow or the hardware on the sticks and stand. Blood trails wash away quickly in the rain. All just adds up to a pass for me. I give serious props to those that do it. That's more dedication then I possess.
Light passing drizzle, okay, but steady rain for the duration, no thanks.

X2

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:04 am

If it's a light rain I don't mind hunting in it. Heavy rain I wouldn't take a chance with a bow, just for the fact I wouldn't want to loose the track. My favorite setup to hunt is a day when it's raining in the morning or early afternoon when it's going to clear up for the evening. Rain makes access nice and quite.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:48 pm

I have hunted in a heavy rain quite afew times nothing really stands out to me about it. Walked right up on a good buck in a down pour once in a cedar thicket, think it startled both of us equally lol.. I mean I came around a big bush and he was 2 ft away staring at me, we both took off in opposite directions. I do luv me some cold cloudy drizzly bird dog days though! them are my favorite
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:02 pm

as I currently sit here at our out of state hunting cabin, its calling for steady heavy rain all morning. I think I'll just drive around and learn access point until rain slows down.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:06 am

This time of year ill hunt whatever I can handle. If there is any chance of stoppage id want to be setup and ready! One tip though, if the forecast says 40% chance of TStorms - bring a rain jacket... :?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:33 am

I am with Dewey. I love hunting in the rain most times.

But if I don't feel like dealing with it on a certain day I am with prebanman. I am doing this to enjoy myself. Yes I enjoy the grind and the hard work but have to make sure I am not just trying hard for the sake of being able to say 'look how hard I am going at it'... or w/e you know what I mean.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:05 am

I hunted in the rain/sleet/snow this morning. I didn’t see anything but I usually have better than average movement in the rain. The best for me have been early season misty days on the back of a cold front after several days of hot weather. It seems like every deer in the woods is moving around.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 am

I don’t enjoy bowhunting in the rain. I’m as exhausted as I could be after a day of sitting in the rain. Whenever I loose my sense of hearing, I wear myself out looking constantly for movement.

I do like still hunting in the rain with a rifle in my hand and I’ve had good luck over the years slipping around.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:18 am

I will hunt in a rain unless it's a downpour from this time until end of November. Other than that I won't go out of my way to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”