How would you hunt this bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iuodcoats

How would you hunt this bed

Unread postby iuodcoats » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:36 am

I found a buck bed right under a set I hung this June. I went in to sit this spot about 3 weeks ago, but ended up in a torrential downpour. While sitting in the stand, 17 yards to the south of me there was an obvious buck bed. The predominate wind here is west to east and Saturday and Monday (my days off) winds will be from the west. I typically sneak in from the creek and the stand is approximately 40 yards north of the creek. I've hunted about a hundred yards away for 2 evening sits, but have not yet seen the buck. I'm sure I haven't ruined the area as the only time in was during a downpour and was the first time entering that area since when I hung the stand in June. There was hair in the bed and large tracks so I think its a good buck. The entire property is 17 acres so stand locations are limited. Would you go in real early in the morning and set up in the fixed stand, or keep taking chances hunting the outskirts. In my mind I already have a stand in the perfect tree, but can't get very close during an evening sit without getting busted. I have a feeling he's in there and heads West off the property before I can get a look at him if I set up further East.Image

iuodcoats

Re: How would you hunt this bed

Unread postby iuodcoats » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:39 am

iuodcoats

Unread postby iuodcoats » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:41 am

The area between the ridges is a creek bottom/swampy type terrain. There are trees I can sit, but they are small
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:02 am

I would try to sit south edge of the creek right on the east of your property line. Get him before he crosses the property line in the evening.

Otherwise in the morning set-up east of his J-hook trail, on the north side of the creek. But make sure you're close enough to shot that trail.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:13 am

I think you're fixed stand would be ok but I think you'll need to access it from the North really early if possible. Otherwise, I would set up in the morning just east of the "J" hook trail like tgreeno mentioned.
iuodcoats

Unread postby iuodcoats » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 am

I think I can get in there from the North. Probably quieter going through the creek bed, but pretty much have to step over his bed to get to the stand. Its real thick in there
iuodcoats

Unread postby iuodcoats » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:38 am

I like both ideas and both are doable. I have another place in mind for Saturday night, so probably will hunt it Monday morning and get in early
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:03 am

This is how I would hunt the spot. I would approach from the East (Black Arrow) with a west wind. I would put up a stand in the yellow spot I marked.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
iuodcoats

Unread postby iuodcoats » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:08 am

Thanks Stanley. I tried that with that stand just East of that spot, but probably didn't push far enough in. When I crouched down in the bed I could see most of that bottom area, so unless I could get in there in the dark he'd probably see me setting up where you suggested.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”