Beast tactics in strong winds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

Beast tactics in strong winds

Unread postby BowHusker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:58 am

Have any of you had much success in bed hunting during strong winds? I have taken all of next week off from work including this weekend but it looks like I will be dealing with some 20-30 mph winds a few of those days.

In a few ways I can see that this will work to my advantage as far covering up my noise during entry and setup. But I've read before that high winds really mess with all of a deers main senses so they tend not to move.

Tomorrow if the hourly weather holds true I think I can definitely use it to my advantage. The winds are supposed to be at 27 mph at 4 o'clock when I hope to be setting up. By 6:45 which is a half hour before the end of legal shooting it is supposed to drop to around 10 mph. I am hoping this will be a great combination of "cover" wind followed by a big drop in wind speed that will hopefully get the deer on their feet before sundown.

Curious to any of your experiences with high wind hunts and situations.

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Net Guy
500 Club

Re: Beast tactics in strong winds

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:06 am

You're definitely right that high winds will mask your sound. If done properly, you should be able to get closer to the bedding area if you move slow and with the gust. With that said, during very windy days, my experience is that they'll stay closer to the bedding that is kind of protected by the wind. This could be from a woodline, fallen tree, ditch, etc.

I've also noticed they sometimes prefer to bed where they can see a distance. Since their sense of sound is diminished, I think they really focus on their smell and vision during high winds. I've shot many bucks in high winds (and missed bc of high winds ;) ) so I say give it a shot and move slowly around the bedding areas.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 am

Killed a lot of good bucks in the wind in bedding areas.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:53 am

Im more than curious to hear the opinions on this :?:
I honestly can't say I've ever noticed high winds depressing deer movement.

Infact personally I always seem to see the opposite. Early out of there beds, moving faster than normal, leaving thick cover early, etc.. I'd comfortably say the majority of my best hunts are the very high wind hunts that every one else I know sits the couch for.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:07 am

Bedbug wrote:Im more than curious to hear the opinions on this :?:
I honestly can't say I've ever noticed high winds depressing deer movement.

Infact personally I always seem to see the opposite. Early out of there beds, moving faster than normal, leaving thick cover early, etc.. I'd comfortably say the majority of my best hunts are the very high wind hunts that every one else I know sits the couch for.

Agree. My best big buck sighting were on extremely windy days but surprisingly I never killed one on any of those days. Won’t stop me from hunting them though. I think very strong winds get them on their feet because it takes away from their senses and they feel vulnerable bedded down. They have a hard time hearing, smelling and seeing predators because everything is blowing so hard and maybe feel they have a better advantage being on their feet. No idea......that’s just my two cents.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:11 am

Stalking a cornfield is a good tactic in high winds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Great responses and insights guys! I am especially encouraged with the couple reports of increased sightings! Maybe it's because my human nature is to try and hunker down in high winds or stay out of it entirely that has me thinking a deer is also that way. But what you said actually makes sense because if a deer's senses are vastly reduced due to high winds then his best defense is to actually be up on his feet in case danger presented itself he can react quickly.
AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 pm

I agree...Never on the couch on those windy days. If anything I would be out glassing and observing if the wind got real strong. I do make sure I strap myself in tight up in the tree if I do climb up into a stand. And I'm always concerned about being in a bigger "more solid" tree that doesn't sway as much. Taking up a ground blind (or sit) is usually what I do on real windy days.

Haven't done much stalking yet but some of the ideas here got me thinking ... :think:
DirtyBird

Unread postby DirtyBird » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:18 am

Here’s an interesting podcast about weather & deer hunting. Seems to line up with the experiences many have shared on here.

http://downsouthhunting.libsyn.com/epis ... g-analysis
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:56 am

I am in to hear more on this subject. I had never thought about the aspect of a buck feeling vulnerable bedded in high wind. Think that may have merit.

I am also curious how this affects their ability to smell you? Seems like it would carry your scent a long ways possibly but it would dilute it drastically as well.
Great thread and will give that podcast a listen.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”