Found a guy illegally baiting in area.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ognennyy
500 Club

Re: Found a guy illegally baiting in area.

Unread postby Ognennyy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:14 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Leave and find a different area to hunt. You don't want to get pinched for hunting over that bait if a warden does come by. It's not easy to convince a warden it's not your bait.

So long as you're not hunting directly over that bait pile where it's pretty much indisputable that you knew of its existence, the burden of proof lies with the warden.

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:26 am

Anonymous tip is the best route in my opinion
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:28 am

Ognennyy wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:Leave and find a different area to hunt. You don't want to get pinched for hunting over that bait if a warden does come by. It's not easy to convince a warden it's not your bait.

So long as you're not hunting directly over that bait pile where it's pretty much indisputable that you knew of its existence, the burden of proof lies with the warden.

I agree with this and have seen it happen. Also your spot is pretty much ruined anyhow. I would burn the guy and move on. Sorry. But I have zero time for that crap. I have to follow the rules too and as a public landowner its my land as well and I'd be pissed. The people that do it always assume they aren't going to get caught or no one will find it. So they are admitting ignorance and automatically think they are getting away with something. What they are really doing is screwing everyone over.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:08 am

I see so much illegal baiting here. And the fine after this year is HEAVY - 2yr loss of license for the first offense.

Get caught again, lifetime ban of license. I found 3 illegal baits Sunday when I was scouting.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:30 am

I have no intention of trying to hunt the area this was a area I found in February on my way in to my spot I ran across bait. I hadn't been in this area since February.

Knowing that a guys been in the area shows me the area's full of human scent and ruined anyway.

Chances are even if I called the warden the guy might get a talking too or slap on the wrist.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:43 am

I go back and forth on this.. I've never been able to get a warden or conservation officer out to investigate it and it would be very easy for the baiter to say it's not his bait.. what's ya'll experience with this.

I just go find somewhere else even though I hate seeing it.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm

I'd call the wma manager directly and give him the coordinates to the exact site. Then hunt elsewhere.
Not all those who wander are lost...
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Take his stand and leave a note that you know alot of people that could use it to HUNT. Tell him to raise a beef next year, it will yield more meat and be even easier to kill.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
SeaHunter

Unread postby SeaHunter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:07 pm

What would be wrong with reporting him, but then hunting it how the deer will use it. Like, now hunt the bedding route they'll take to get to the bait. Ideally that will put you a legal distance away from the bait, whatever that is, and clearly you're not hunting over bait.
Stupid ought to hurt
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:59 pm

SeaHunter wrote:What would be wrong with reporting him, but then hunting it how the deer will use it. Like, now hunt the bedding route they'll take to get to the bait. Ideally that will put you a legal distance away from the bait, whatever that is, and clearly you're not hunting over bait.

Currently bedding is about 220 yards west- southwest of his bait pile the crazy thing is he walks in from the west through the bedding area to get too his setup.

So I would bet money that entire bedding area is ruined for a long time too come.
True I could hunt surrounding it 100 acres away but I have better spots to go too.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Hang a scream costume over his bait pile :whistle:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:59 am

Report it and move on. Around here the wardens will put a lot of work into busting people over illegal baiting. Here they would definitely want to know.
young7.3

Unread postby young7.3 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:39 am

Report the GPS coordinates anonymously. You play by the rules, everyone else should too.
Check out my page "Young Adventures" on YouTube and Instagram for real, 100% fair chase, hunting and outdoor videos!
https://www.instagram.com/young_adventures_outdoors/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNLaHUW5jxEkptTl2ZKb7LA

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”