The good ole days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

The good ole days

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:15 am

Always makes me smile to look back at some old pics from when I was a kid. Believe I was 11 or 12 in this one. It was the day after thanksgiving, and the first time I hunted alone. My dad walked me in the dark to a giant tree along a dirt road lined with a barbwire fence, he layed a 2x6 in the crotch of the tree, lifted me up and handed me my gun. He told me he was just gonna be on the other side of the ridge and what ever I do don't get down. An hour after daylight a 9 pt came cruising down the fence line and I dropped him. I was pumped and wanted to jump down and put my hands on him but my dad told me to stay put. Wasn't 15 minutes later an 8 came from the opposite direction and I shot him to. My dad had to come see what all the shooting was about and he was dumb founded :lol: I still give him grief about that day, he didn't see squat. Feel free to add your own old pics and story's that the good stuff.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Re: The good ole days

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:55 am

November 1968......my first year in deer camp. My Mom was along and taking the picture 7 months pregnant with me in her belly. :lol:

My Dad is the one in front in red and my uncle to his left. Good ole’ fashioned northwoods spiker from up by Ogema WI.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:32 am

Nice Dewey! Those 60s and 70s pics are tough to beat! My dads got a bunch of fishing pics in the 70s in those tight shorts and tube socks sporting a foomanchew :lol: I luv those old deer pics like yours, can just vision your pops honking the horn coming down the street, everyone coming over to see the kill and congratulate him. Truly the good ole days b4 it got all commercialized and left wingers took over and called outdoorsman murderers.Thanks for sharing.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 am

I was born 40 years too late.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 pm

First day deer hunting.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:08 pm

PK_ wrote:I was born 40 years too late.

Same here... looks like good times.

Somewhere in a shoe box, though, I have a couple pictures of me as a kid with my first buck. A spike. Had to be 3" long to be legal at the time and I was worried sick after I dropped him that he wasn't long enough. Turned out to be 3.5" and all was well with the world haha.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:37 pm

:dance:

Love seeing those pics from back in the day.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:55 pm

This picture is from 1981. I arrowed the squirrel and pinned him to the ground. An hour later the mink tried to steal my squirrel. Not a a smart thing to do. I arrowed the mink and pinned him to the ground. I was happy to have squirrel for supper and got $20.00 for the mink from a fur buyer. Would have gotten more but the arrow ripped a big hole though him. Deer hunting sure is fun. :lol:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:57 pm

My Dads first deer. 1995. U.P. spike. He had hunted for 30 yrs and never killed a deer. He killed alot more after this one. Just took him awhile to warm up. I think he enjoyed it alot more after me and my brother got old enough to hunt. He was a great fishermen. Taught me alot.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:32 am

November 1969 in Alabama, Was 23 years old!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 am

Stanley wrote:This picture is from 1981. I arrowed the squirrel and pinned him to the ground. An hour later the mink tried to steal my squirrel. Not a a smart thing to do. I arrowed the mink and pinned him to the ground. I was happy to have squirrel for supper and got $20.00 for the mink from a fur buyer. Would have gotten more but the arrow ripped a big hole though him. Deer hunting sure is fun. :lol:

It almost appears you are smiling ? :think:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Stanley wrote:This picture is from 1981. I arrowed the squirrel and pinned him to the ground. An hour later the mink tried to steal my squirrel. Not a a smart thing to do. I arrowed the mink and pinned him to the ground. I was happy to have squirrel for supper and got $20.00 for the mink from a fur buyer. Would have gotten more but the arrow ripped a big hole though him. Deer hunting sure is fun. :lol:

It almost appears you are smiling ? :think:

You can’t see it but bet he’s wearing Croc’s back then too. He was way ahead of the times. :lol:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:37 am

Took me 5 years of gun hunting but this was my first buck with the gun when I was 16. So 5 years ago for you old timers :lol:

First buck with the gun, got a head mount of it for christmas that year, and to this day, this buck still creates one very happy memory for me, but also caused some conflicts I am still dealing with today. Way too long of a story I have no desire to dig up from the grave.

That year was one of the wildest roller coasters of a season I ever have. The same day I hit a nice buck and lost it to private land (and some mistakes on my part), a buddy of my uncles missed this buck due to a lack of trimming in the shooting lane.

2 weeks later I was still a wreck over the first buck when I shot this one. Quite the redemption moment for me, and really the turning point of my career and when I started to really love hunting more than just go through the motions. So every time I walk into the family cabin, I look up at this buck on the wall and thank him for steering me in the right direction with my hunting career. It also represents the fourth generation of my family to have a set of antlers hanging in the cabin which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Also the same buck that nearly got me into a bar fight as well.

Only picture I have of the mount.

My family has a great collection of older deer hunting pictures, including from the 80's and 90's when they camped out in the woods for the entire season. The more I look at it, the more I see that I was born 20 years too late to really enjoy all of the things they look back on and have great stories about. Really missed out on some special times
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”