Cover Scents or Ozone

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Cover Scents or Ozone

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:32 am

Similar to the estrous thread that just got started, Im wondering about the merit in general of cover scents or ozone.

Last 2 seasons, I had somewhat positive results with an ozonics at times, for a doe or family of deer gets downwind somewhere I didn't expect them to go. It wasn't earth shattering, but if it kept them from blowing at me and just let them pass through then it was helping me. This is a private land area with a LOT of doe.

This year, not so much helping on 2 sits. Grunting a bunch made them uneasy and left the way the came without snorting one of the times. I was standing there wishing I had something I could have done to cover my scent better. I moved my stand 20 yards and 5 ft higher to a safer spot, but still had me wondering. I stayed out for 3 weeks also, until I can make all these does work for me in this spot.

Its a different reaction than I see from a doe on public or bigwoods. Its like they know they wont be shot, they actually come towards your scent if they catch wind of it, stomping and trying to locate the scent. Public land doe will snort once or just leave immediately in my experience.

What do you do when you have deer about to get downwind? Anything?

Ravenhunter

Re: Cover Scents or Ozone

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:49 am

As far as ozone goes I use ozone machines to clean my clothes but no Ozonics unit(anymore at least). I had a younger buck standing in my wind and knew somthing was up and started snorting and walking around and around. So I snort wheezed at him a bs scared him off. It also brought in a bigger deer I could get a shot at. By mid to later in oct and then Nov I'm not too worried about getting winded. If a deer starts blowing I like to think other deer get curious and might come in. Just my two cents.
Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:01 am

Not sure what to make of ozone. I think eventually deer will learn to associate that scent with danger but maybe not. I just don't want to carry in all that extra stuff.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 am

Agree with what WA said. I can’t really comment on effectiveness as I hadn’t used one but I’ve read many posts by people who say they have used them and I see mixed results. Sometimes they do work as advertised and other times they don’t. The Ozonics that is.

With respect to cover scents, I think I have had positive results with Fox urine. However, since joining this website, I’ve come to believe that when I thought things like that worked, I may have been wrong. Also, on any of the mature bucks I’ve shot, one thing they all had in common and what I believe is the only reliable tactic is the complete and utter surprise of a first time sit.

Unfortunately, until I decide to start putting in more effort at finding new spots to hunt, that isn’t always feasible.

The one thing I would really like to try is a HECS suit.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 am

mheichelbech wrote:Agree with what WA said. I can’t really comment on effectiveness as I hadn’t used one but I’ve read many posts by people who say they have used them and I see mixed results. Sometimes they do work as advertised and other times they don’t. The Ozonics that is.

With respect to cover scents, I think I have had positive results with Fox urine. However, since joining this website, I’ve come to believe that when I thought things like that worked, I may have been wrong. Also, on any of the mature bucks I’ve shot, one thing they all had in common and what I believe is the only reliable tactic is the complete and utter surprise of a first time sit.

Unfortunately, until I decide to start putting in more effort at finding new spots to hunt, that isn’t always feasible.

The one thing I would really like to try is a HECS suit.

I agree with this, but Im not looking to fool the mature bucks. I still hunt the best winds for each stand as far as where the mature bucks come from, Im just trying to get a few doe to get by without freaking out if its even possible. It is interesting that the ozonics isnt more consistent. Probably just not effective enough for inconsistant airflow near the stand. I dont see any of this being much of an issue in normal or low density areas.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 am

Best cover scent is mixing hot water and box of baking soda it's cheap and effective.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:02 am

I think that back to your initial question and as it relates to shooting does, it’s most likely not worth the expense and effort.

If you were in a ground blind surrounded by 4 walls and a ceiling, that is where the ozonics is most likely effective as it is “washing” your scent before it escapes the blind.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:33 am

Im giving an ozone machine a try hooked up to my travel container for my hunting clothes. I've heard people having good results so I want to give it a try. I was skeptical but my brother had a house he took possession of that had 60 to 80 cats (no joke) living it in and peeing everywhere. They gutted the place and still the smell was horrible. A couple days with a few ozone generators and you could see a huge difference. Thought it was worth a try. Plus, I have a 2 year old and 5 month old so milk and formula seems to always get on the couch cushions. Going to try and put the cushions in the container for a few minutes to see if anything happens. I'll do some research to make sure it isn't harmful first but I think it should be fine.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”