Why don’t doe estrous scents work?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MIbuckmaster14

Re: Why don’t doe estrous scents work?

Unread postby MIbuckmaster14 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 am

Thinking about setting up close to a small bedding area this weekend. It’s a small transition of tall grassy brush and two wood lots. Found a fresh scrape on the transition and was thinking about dropping some doe urine in the scrape if the wind was right. I don’t know if this would help or hurt my chances in attracting a 3.5 yr old. Or just hoping he comes by to check his scrape.

JMax1978

Unread postby JMax1978 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:41 am

Why do topics like this remind me of the story called "The Old Bull and Young Bull".
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:45 am

I've only ever had dinks come into scents back before I knew any better.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:58 am

What folks forget is that deer produce scents in a variety of ways. They have glands in their feet, heads, tarsals, etc.

Doe in heat pee most likely does not contain any of the necessary stuff to make a buck come running.

Doe in heat scents might work sometimes but I don't know anyone who has had them work - including all the years I watched my dad put the scents out near scrapes and such. If it worked well, he would have gotten something over them.

Now, if you want a true attractant, use corn. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:10 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
dan wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:I assume most bucks can instantly and unmistakably tell the difference. Kind of like comparing a peach-scented candle or air freshener to a tree ripened fresh one. You may get a dumb/horny one to commit once in awhile, but most ain't buying what you're selling.

I agree with this... A bucks nose is just to good to fool. You have to get the right buck in the right mood on the right day for it to work... If estrous scent really worked you could set up, up wind of a swamp and every buck in the swamp would come running. My experience tells me the older and more seasoned the buck, the harder to fool.

Just for conversation...

Your first comment caught me bc of what I stated about location or situational - if its placed in a spot its expected to be (or close), the results - for me - have went according to plan. Better actually...even though they weren't all planned :lol: All of my experiences though, were bc I was just bored or wanted to try it. It seems like whenever I really want to try, it doesn't work out. Maybe that plays into catching that right buck at the right time or luck?

That second comment intrigues me bc I believe it to be true that older buck knows what a doe(s) smells like, in his core area. If this was to be true - What if he travels outside that core area to check does he hasn't smelled yet or consistently?

Going back to ElkYinzer's comment and the scent up wind of a swamp comment - I agree about the difference in freshness, I agree an old buck is hard to fool. My only thinking on the matter is why can we call a buck off of a hot doe w a call? Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Sometimes its negative, sometimes its positive - are we not going to try and find out? IMO a call is more effective than a scent attractant for quick results but everything has its place. W calling I have had much, much more effective results from trying to re create REAL situation. All that said I fully subscribe to surprise attacks or a ambush over giving away position, any day of the season. There is simply nothing more effective IMO

I don't think doe pee in a bottle off a shelf smells like a fresh doe in estrous. Strange doe, new doe... If it smelled exactly like a doe in estous you could walk up to bucks wearing it like cologne. I have walked right up to bucks with does and gotten in between them. There is no chasing them off. They don't care about the danger. That sure ain't true with scents... I think it smells just enough realistic to make a buck curious, he thinks... hmmmm. maybe?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:32 am

I do not think any scent does any good for mature bucks they do not smell like a doe the buck is used too.

A buck knows every doe in his area by heart by time he reaches maturity. Fooling him with a foreign Oder is not likely.

It can be used on your boots while walking in to not smell well not as human and young bucks are attracted to it course they might bust you.

I used to buy scents the only one I ever saw work with my own eyes was one brand brought in small bucks.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:56 am

I have seen scents bring in mature bucks, I have also seen them get a whiff of it and freak out. Probably spooks more than it attracks, but it has its use for some guys in some situations. When a buck is worked up enough you c an get away with a lot. I remember once years ago (before carbon arrows) when I saw a nice buck cruising around midday and i called him in rattling aluminum arrows together..

The problem with scents is it works just enough to get you hooked and then its a crutch. If you hunt using scent attractants like the other 99% of the hunter population, expect the same results as the other 99% of the population... Where I hunt if you go out picking moral mushrooms you can fill a bucket faster picking up used scent bottles... ;)
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:43 am

I don't use them thatt much anymore where I mainly hunt but bring some back for my dad to use at his urban spot. He's a meat hunter and any buck or doe will do for him and the area doesnt get many mature bucks (most deer get hit by cars). I did arrow a 3.5 year old at this spot a few years back. He was spooked by something going on in the neighborhood and busted pass me. I laid down some does in estrus and as soon as he hit that scent he stopped and turned around and walked back. Shot him at 8 yards.

I have a couple buddies who seem to get very nice mature bucks every year that swear by the stuff. At the Farm King by us, it is delivered every other day from a local deer farm and kept in a fridge. It goes fast during the rut, that is for sure. They seem to use half a bottle per hunt and that gets expensive quick. Again, I'm not sold on it but have used it before.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”