Had some ground shrinkage on my first bedroom buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tjaberle

Had some ground shrinkage on my first bedroom buck

Unread postby tjaberle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:56 am

I'm new to the hunting beast. I have listened to all of the HB podcasts over and over. I'm very excited to hunt a new way. Every year me and my hunting buddy would set up 19 or more fix stands and they would get burned out and any bucks where only seen during the rut. After listening to Dan on Wired To Hunt I took my 5 lone wolf sticks and stand and covered them in stealth tape and put rubber over the buckles and put molle straps on my stand. And I identified some Buck bedding areas. I went in Saturday on the leeward side of a ridge and set up about a 100 yards from a bedding area and after 45 minutes two 4 x 4 bucks came thru and then my buck came thru and avoided another fixed position stand about 80 yards from me. I shot my first buck out of the rut after 15 seasons because I put the HB tactics to work. I now have my hunting buddies attention. The only thing is I thought this buck was a 5 x 5 and he was missing a brow tine on one side and he was much smaller than I thought and younger. I probably would have killed a bigger buck and older buck hunting over funnels and scrapes during the rut, but going with sticks and looking at tracks and setting up on a bedded buck and being successful has been very rewarding. Have any of you guys shot bucks that ended up being smaller than you thought out of treestands.

flinginairos
500 Club

Re: Had some ground shrinkage on my first bedroom buck

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:14 am

First of all, congrats!! It feels awesome to put a new tactic into play and see the rewards right off the bat. And yeah, i've shot several that in the moment I swore they were a lot bigger. It happens :lol: I shot a buck in Ohio last year that I thought was a nice one and he REALLY shrunk on me when I got to him. Don't let that take away from the hunt! 8-)
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:16 am

tjaberle wrote:Have any of you guys shot bucks that ended up being smaller than you thought out of treestands.

All of them but one, :lol: That's a true story.

Congrats on your first beast buck!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 am

I've have shot some I was off on age, but no ground shrinkage antler wise. If I have to talk myself into shooting one, I know it's not the deer for me. But it's your first buck with a new tactic, and got him outside the rut as well I say be proud of em! Good job :clap:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
peteinvermont

Unread postby peteinvermont » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:43 am

Thats awesome. What was the area like? How did you decide to enter/exit?
tjaberle

Unread postby tjaberle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks for the congats guys. I know no hunting this way will put me onto way bigger bucks in the Black Hills of South Dakota.Instead of hoping they come by during the rut I will go get them. I'm going down to the eastern part of the state on river bottoms and islands with my canoe. I'm listening to HB podcasts about these places. This type of country is new to me. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm going down on Nov 4- 12. Its the Missouri River in eastern South Dakota with ravines running up to ag fields and some islands. Have scouted the public land on maps of this area. I have a good idea were to start. I my goal is to kill a buck that is atleast get 4.5 year old buck that goes 125" that is a 5 x 5.
tjaberle

Unread postby tjaberle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:07 am

peteinvermont wrote:Thats awesome. What was the area like? How did you decide to enter/exit?

It is the Black Hills of South Dakota with ponderosa pine trees and some oak trees and birch trees that meets the prairie. No are no Ag fields or food plots just step ridges with ravines. I decided to enter up a ravine with the wind in my face I knew that bucks have bedded on the ridge and so I climbed this step ravine and i knew if the bucks passed and I did shot one I could exit the same way without being detected. I set up 25 feet up a pine tree. Took all 5 sticks to get up their. Sometimes these pine trees don't have any branches for 20'. It was about a 1.5 mile hike up the ridge about 750' elevation change. Very steep. I use that ravine to conceal my movement. I set up below the buck bedding and I saw buck tracks and fresh rubs. I also knew that air would cool in the evening and the thermals would drop down.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:09 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I've have shot some I was off on age, but no ground shrinkage antler wise. If I have to talk myself into shooting one, I know it's not the deer for me. But it's your first buck with a new tactic, and got him outside the rut as well I say be proud of em! Good job :clap:

x2! :clap: :clap: :clap: Congrats & Welcome! That is a great feeling to say the least. If youre willing, we love pics! AS far as better or mature bucks go that will come w time and scouting. They are there and w determination youll find them.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:12 am

Congrats! I think we have all had a little ground shrinkage from time to time but I have had one buck that grew on me after I found him, those are way more fun. :lol:
tjaberle

Unread postby tjaberle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:20 am

Can not figure out how to upload image of my buck. Not sure how, i will put him in the line up to. Any instructions would help.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 am

tjaberle wrote:Can not figure out how to upload image of my buck. Not sure how, i will put him in the line up to. Any instructions would help.

Daily chat section>at the top is a how-to on postimage.org or you can try out the HB gallery
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:30 am

Nope. I knew exactly how small all of mine have been :lol:

Congrats man.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 am

Congrats!! I have NEVER had ground shrinkage...never honest injun. :liar: :liar:
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:01 pm

I have never had ground shrinkage with a buck. The bear I shot is a different story. I think he shrunk 75 lbs by the time I got up to him. And I dropped him on the bait! :roll: :doh:
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Congrats on the buck! Here's the link for posting images. It's easier than you'd think once you do it one time.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39892
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”