The pressure is off!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

docwaters

Re: The pressure is off!

Unread postby docwaters » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:13 pm

I agree with the sentiment of not placing debilitating pressure on ourselves and especially not pressure based on ego.

However, we place a high importance on our shared passion and the culmination of our efforts equates to a successful hunt. For myself, there is the pressure to be proficient with my bow, the pressure to learn from my experiences as well as resources like these forums, the pressure to scout effectively, etc. A diamond is just a lump of coal that has received sufficient pressure.

Each of us has to balance what is too much pressure versus not demanding enough from ourselves. Speaking for myself, I think it is a constant process.

Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:07 pm

There is absolutely no pressure in my hunting. Lots of desire, but no pressure, that is for sure. 2 entirely different things.If I've got pressure on me to kill a deer, then something might be wrong! Desire...excitement, anticipation, butterflies, amazement, relaxation, awe, and certainly frustration at times. Pressure, real pressure, that is in another entire part of the universe.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm

I have been guilty of putting too much pressure on myself in the past. What really made me realize it was going scouting this spring. I had so much fun finding old sign, beds, and suclude food sources. I found myself thinking "why is scouting way more exciting and less stressful than hunting?". It's because of pressure. Somehow I fell into the mindset that if I don't tag out my season is a failure. I have passed a few deer this season already and I'm feeling much better than the past seasons.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:25 am

We have all probably been guilty of putting too much pressure on ourselves at one time or another, I used to count my sits until rifle season because I wanted to get one before the orange army hit the woods. It wasn't stressful or anything but I would think about the number of sits I had left to "get it done" but now I just kind of go with the flow and see what happens. Some of my best seasons are ones where I never shot a buck but had some great encounters and memories. Like others have said, just make the best of it, Dan's latest 8 point video is a great reminder of that. If you miss no big deal and get back out there and hunt, don't dwell on mistakes and just enjoy the ride. We are way to stressed in life anyway, heck I feel like my kids are stressed in elementary school already and that is pretty sad, we all have other work and life stuff that is stressful, try and limit that as best you can.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:57 am

I used to put pressure on myself, and it made hunting less fun. Now I just enjoy every hunt for what it is, and if I shoot a big buck, even better.

I take a trip every year to hunt with good friends during peak rut in an area that almost has only scrub bucks. We are shooting anything but a spike and some years we don't get anything. But I have no problem leaving my good big buck spots for a few days and going to hunt small bucks with friends. We have fun, and if we kill anything with a rack it is reason for celebration. There truly is no pressure at that hunting camp, it is just hunting for the fun of it. 2 weeks and I will be there, can't wait...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:46 am

docwaters wrote:I agree with the sentiment of not placing debilitating pressure on ourselves and especially not pressure based on ego.

However, we place a high importance on our shared passion and the culmination of our efforts equates to a successful hunt. For myself, there is the pressure to be proficient with my bow, the pressure to learn from my experiences as well as resources like these forums, the pressure to scout effectively, etc. A diamond is just a lump of coal that has received sufficient pressure.

Each of us has to balance what is too much pressure versus not demanding enough from ourselves. Speaking for myself, I think it is a constant process.

Good post Magicman

Doc I agree w you also. Pressure can come from anywhere for a guy to get it done out there. Maybe its just younger hunters... Another one for me is my family is just as invested as I am bc of the time or effort I spend in the woods, away. I also think pressure comes w chasing bucks...maybe bc some take it too serious? I believe that iv pressured myself bc I want something that I never had! All that is probably just me making excuses to myself but one things for sure, pressure is real. Slowing things down to look at it big picture is one key to better success though :think:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:11 am

You may think there's no pressure. The older guys just know how to handle it better
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:38 am

I pressured myself this year because I knew exactly how many weekends and hunts I had left. Add in rain and thunder every weekend, and it really got depressing.

Now I have 3 weeks for gun season, and suddenly I feel like a whole new person. Sleep better, eat better, classes are going better, more motivation to do school work.

The pressure got to me, and now its off. I feel good :D

Already taking notes and writing down ideas for next year. Pretty happy with where I am right now, and honestly I accomplished the biggest goals I had for myself this fall. Used my hang on every hunt, and drew back on a buck I would've loved to shoot with the bow. Sure I hate missing the rut, but I'm arguably in a better place right now because I am missing it. Just got burned out and lost my mental edge.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 am

Hawthorne wrote:You may think there's no pressure. The older guys just know how to handle it better

Good post Hawthorne. Breaking it down, that's definitely something I seek as much or more than big bucks. Bc the pay off is exactly that!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:47 am

Great topic for discussion.
Many gifted hunters, they knock down a big one and they knock down another big buck, and they are told that they knock down big bucks because they are great persistent hunters. That seems like a positive thing to tell the novice hunter, but ultimately, what that means, is when the novice hunter is persistent and doesn't knock down a big buck, it must make them a loser?

There are a ton of really good hunters that never fill a wall full of big bucks. Do these hunters feel more pressure than the more successful hunters? I think so. It is always more fun to look at a nice big buck hanging, than it is to look at the tag you didn't fill. If you think differently you maybe haven't killed a big buck and enjoyed the super high you get from that accomplishment. :think:

Live realistically. Admit you have weakness and feel pressure. Because everyone does. Face the fact that you're not physically/mentally perfect. Because nobody is. Embrace that you have things you can’t control. We all have a list of them. Mainly it's called life, live it the best way you know how.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:50 am

Great post and I'm working on this myself. Trying to enjoy my tine in the woods and the family i get to share it with.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 am

Stanley wrote:Great topic for discussion.
Many gifted hunters, they knock down a big one and they knock down another big buck, and they are told that they knock down big bucks because they are great persistent hunters. That seems like a positive thing to tell the novice hunter, but ultimately, what that means, is when the novice hunter is persistent and doesn't knock down a big buck, it must make them a loser? INSERT PIC OF ED

There are a ton of really good hunters that never fill a wall full of big bucks. Do these hunters feel more pressure than the more successful hunters? I think so. It is always more fun to look at a nice big buck hanging, than it is to look at the tag you didn't fill. If you think differently you maybe haven't killed a big buck and enjoyed the super high you get from that accomplishment. :think:

Live realistically. Admit you have weakness and feel pressure. Because everyone does. Face the fact that you're not physically/mentally perfect. Because nobody is. Embrace that you have things you can’t control. We all have a list of them. Mainly it's called life, live it the best way you know how.

Ya Man!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:10 am

Stanley wrote:Great topic for discussion.
Many gifted hunters, they knock down a big one and they knock down another big buck, and they are told that they knock down big bucks because they are great persistent hunters. That seems like a positive thing to tell the novice hunter, but ultimately, what that means, is when the novice hunter is persistent and doesn't knock down a big buck, it must make them a loser?

The super high...good way to put it. Talking with another member, if you did not feel the pressure...where does the drive come from? Empty tags usually drives you to hunt harder.

I think it becomes detrimental when it creates problems with friends and family. When you are upset and cannot enjoy another's success. Pressure is when you want it so bad you start crossing lines trying to better your success.

The way to combat it? Just remind yourself, the people that matter the most, care the least. We have all felt it. Just remind yourself that it's only deer hunting.

Every single big buck killer on here feels it or has felt it at some point.
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 am

The pressure is off! Ha! I always say that if I get one on the ground by mid October. For me the pressure is off because I have venison in the freezer (usually a doe). I don't loose sight of the primary reason I hunt which is to spend time outdoors and put healthy meat in the freezer which the whole family enjoys. That being said I've been working hard in learning the ways of the BEAST, scouting more than i ever did, learning the land, looking over the topos and absorbing everything I can, so I can starting getting on mature bucks, having one in the freezer means I can be more selective when I'm hunting from here on out..I can let the does walk or a little basket racker live to see another day because there is one in the freezer and now I'm after a beast.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”