8 pointer hunt:

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: 8 pointer hunt:

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Hatchetman wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:
oneflag wrote:Good video, good hunt, the dead tree still makes me nervous.

One question, The big cleaned out area the deer had done, what is it?
A few times over the years I have seen an area similar, 10 -20 foot diameter just beat down full of tracks.
I never have figured out what the deer where doing to make such a mess.

3 season ago I sat and watched a buck wear a spot out like this. He was pawing and snorting and ripping grass with his antlers. He was the only one involved and for whatever reason he was worked up and taking it out on that spot of ground. I was watching through my binos and his hair on his back was all raised up like a mohawk and he was nasty.

I too have come across quite a few spots like this before, mainly while trapping coon and for some reason around grassy drainage ditches a lot.
I always thought, judging by the deep, usually well spaced tine marks left in the dirt that it was mature dominant buck showing another contender buck he was the boss.
Very cool that you've actually seen a buck doing it!
So was the buck you saw doing it a big one?

Oh, and good video Dan!
Look at it this way, maybe the good Lord thinks you should really be sending one through the boiler room of that big ten in the next couple days!! :think:

Yeah it was a great buck for FL. Prob the oldest buck I've ever seen in daylight in FL. I blew the area out not knowing what I know now I hunted that buck every chance I got in that spot. I have never seen a buck do it again. But I found another spot that looked very similar last season on another WMA in the middle of a palmetto field. I'm planning to do a few observation stands their to see if I catch a mature buck moving in that area. And put a game plan together from their.

I think it's a dominance thing as well.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 pm

oneflag wrote:Good video, good hunt, the dead tree still makes me nervous.

One question, The big cleaned out area the deer had done, what is it?
A few times over the years I have seen an area similar, 10 -20 foot diameter just beat down full of tracks.
I never have figured out what the deer where doing to make such a mess.

If its that big and down to the dirt I would say you're looking at an old salt lick. It may have been years since someone dumped salt there but if they kept up on it a while the ground becomes saturated with salt and will remain for years. Usually cam see depressions where they've been eating the dirt.

Looking at Dan's video again, that area looks too big for what Tufrthannails and I are talking about. The areas I see are usually only 3-4 feet in dia. max.
I think Dan's right,probably 2 bucks going at it.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 am

very brave for being up in that dead tree.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:19 am

wmahunter wrote:very brave for being up in that dead tree.

Brave? That's like when you get a wild bear to eat a cookie out of your hand... That dead tree is just a fraction of what us hunters will risk to put ourselves in the right position... You might also notice I never put my harness onto the tree. I kept imagining the tree falling and the strap catapulting me into the ground like a Wile E. Coyote cartoon.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 am

dan wrote:

Brave? That's like when you get a wild bear to eat a cookie out of your hand... That dead tree is just a fraction of what us hunters will risk to put ourselves in the right position... You might also notice I never put my harness onto the tree. I kept imagining the tree falling and the strap catapulting me into the ground like a Wile E. Coyote cartoon.

I've actually practiced unclipping the carabiner from my rock harness as fast as possible, envisioning a scenario where the tree I am in starts falling and I sure as heck don't want to be tethered to it at that point...crazy I know, but I have a fear of heights and an active imagination I guess.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:59 am

Nice video dan. I think I'd be too scared to climb a dead tree like that. The tree does me no good if it's laying on top of me but that's why you're successful because you'll push the limits others don't dare to try.
PAHUNTER570

Unread postby PAHUNTER570 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:03 am

Dan

When you noticed the matted down area with bucks tracks and the scrape was that from the stand or when you walked in? I've been doing a lot of scouting with a stand on my back this season looking for fresh sign. I have found a few good areas but I always think I've gone to far or I don't see the sign until I'm right on top of it. Just wondering if I come across hot sign again and already have my scent near it do I push a little farther or just set up in the closet tree I can?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:04 am

PAHUNTER570 wrote:Dan

When you noticed the matted down area with bucks tracks and the scrape was that from the stand or when you walked in? I've been doing a lot of scouting with a stand on my back this season looking for fresh sign. I have found a few good areas but I always think I've gone to far or I don't see the sign until I'm right on top of it. Just wondering if I come across hot sign again and already have my scent near it do I push a little farther or just set up in the closet tree I can?

I saw it on my way in. Walked right to it. Yep, my scent was there, so I made sure it was in shooting range of where I ended up.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:33 am

dan wrote:Brave? That's like when you get a wild bear to eat a cookie out of your hand... That dead tree is just a fraction of what us hunters will risk to put ourselves in the right position... You might also notice I never put my harness onto the tree. I kept imagining the tree falling and the strap catapulting me into the ground like a Wile E. Coyote cartoon.

:lol: :lol: Throw your bow one way, and jump the other!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:57 am

Great footage and awesome hunt dan!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 pm

dan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:57 am

Great video Dan! even better message !
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 pm

You probably wont believe this....I can hardly believe it myself. I had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday evening. A big 10 point come out of the bedding area and walked to an apple tree 30 yards from me. He ate apples for 10 minutes...standing on his hind legs grabbing them. I had no clear shot to this apple tree. After he was done with the apples he made his way towards me. I drew my bow while he was 20 yards out and he turned and walked right at me. At 15 yards he looked up at me and it was a stare down until I couldnt hold it back any longer. He bolted no matter how slow I tried to let the bow down. My hunting buddies say I shoulda drilled him right in the chest but I've never shot a deer straight on before.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Great video and message Dan.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Mathewshooter wrote:You probably wont believe this....I can hardly believe it myself. I had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday evening. A big 10 point come out of the bedding area and walked to an apple tree 30 yards from me. He ate apples for 10 minutes...standing on his hind legs grabbing them. I had no clear shot to this apple tree. After he was done with the apples he made his way towards me. I drew my bow while he was 20 yards out and he turned and walked right at me. At 15 yards he looked up at me and it was a stare down until I couldnt hold it back any longer. He bolted no matter how slow I tried to let the bow down. My hunting buddies say I shoulda drilled him right in the chest but I've never shot a deer straight on before.

You did the right thing... Pretty hard to kill with straight on shots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”