Rut Thermal Tunnels Traveling

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Rut Thermal Tunnels Traveling

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 am

I have not hunted thermal tunnel's much during the rut before so I was wondering is it best to setup in a area with a long thermal tunnel stretch of ridgesides or try to hunt places where the thermal tunnel's curve a lot close together.

Say where a swamp ends up and creates a lot of fingers that head uphill usually full of brush the thermal tunnel trails in these areas really cut across areas and change directions often. Are they better to hunt during rut??

I know thermal tunnel's near doe bedding will be hot setup's.

I ask because I want to better understand thermal tunnel movement.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Rut Thermal Tunnels Traveling

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:09 am

You have a good question. The cyberscouting I have done gave me the same thought.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:23 am

I have tried 3 times now to answer your question in a way that was helpful, and ended up erasing it each time because it seemed more confusing by the time I was done typing. There is no easy answer, and are a lot of variables. I give up but am interested what others have to say.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 am

If I were personally studying a map and noticed areas thermal tunnel's close to other thermal tunnel's that are used to make the buck change travel direction I'm just thinking that would keep the buck moving near my line of sight for possibly a longer amount of time more then a area where he comes just from my left or right.

These thermal tunnel's go around cuts ditches points fingers trees down in tunnel and bowls might be better ambush spots then a steady flat ridge side?
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:55 am

Imo it is more important what the thermal tunnel ties together. Doe bedding, feeding areas, water ect.
It seems that the older bucks find the most efficient route to find does and are reluctant to give up security cover.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:21 pm

I don't think a thermal tunnel effect can carry or jump from point to point. The air should swirl and backfill into the small valleys between the points.

But the long straight ridge example is where I can see a huntable scenario. If, like mentioned, it connects to other features like doe bedding.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:10 pm

For me the longer the ridge the better. I look for a place along that ridge where multiple edges meet and a drainage header forces travel to a tight spot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”