Youth day 2017...filled with highs and lows.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Youth day 2017...filled with highs and lows.

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 pm

So this weekend, maine youths get to hunt one day early. Today was the day. My hunting buddy and I pack both of our boys up and take them to on a mini hunting trip to a part of the state with way more deer. It's kind of an annual thing for us. Lots of fun.

This year...I took my 9yr old son to a spot where I have killed bunch of archery deer. This would be his first hunt from an elevated stand. Figured I would put a climber with a rail up for him...I would sit behind on a fixed stand.

I just forget ...my son is not me lol. At 9 I had probably climbed the tallest 70 80 foot treed in my neighborhood. It's just what we did as kids. So climbing into a 15ft stand should not be trouble. Welllll...the first time was rough. My buddy was right behind him coaching all the way. Second time, he did so much better. Safety harness attached with me above belaying him with a rope as he climbed.

So the evening started on a high with him being pumped he got into the stand like a boss. At this point I am a nervous wreck. Can he shoot from this? Will he get scope eye? Will the deer show? Man I am never so nervous about hunting as I am with my own kid.

Firdt deer that showed...I kneeled on my platform to coach him through. No sooner had I kneeled when I here more deer coming almost underneath the stand. My knees are on fire. And we have a big doe at 5yds. Literally pinned down with doe and lamb at 5yds and another doe behind me.

Shoot...I whisper when the doe is at 15. He does not move. I tap him on the head. Still he does not move his gun. Eventually the doe pegged us...gig was up. We talked through it and he was afraid to move is gun.

About 15 minutes later. Deer! This time it was in the right spot but we still needed deer to move into shooting position. Then I see another doe come out. And then another. All still at an apple tree behind a spruce.

Finally, 20 minutes before legal, one doe breaks and does exactly as I had hoped...seen them do it so many times before. Safety is off. Gun is aimed.

And this is where we had troubles. Shoot! And I see his head go down. Shoot! Still nothing. He has got to have the deer in the crosshairs. Finally I realize...hE is not going to shoot. He is afraid of shooting the gun.

The tears started to flow after that. He was pretty disappointed with himself. I really don't let him shoot big guns without an animal in front of him for this very reason. But he went duck hunting and fired at a duck...and really put the fear of the gun into him. He hates the noise.

So we had about 20 minutes where sat and talked about how we are going to work through overcoming it. HE was pretty disappointed because that was a golden opportunity for his first deer. It was a great teaching moment about hunting and what it is...and what it means to overcome fears.

He loves hunting. Closest he has ever been to deer in the wild. Really quite a rush. Just the fear of that gun is paralyzing. Crosshairs right behind the shoulder just paralyzed.

So no more hunting till we get to the bottom of this issue. Weather it's the noise canceling ear protection or a crossbow we will need to figure it out.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Youth day 2017...filled with highs and lows.

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:42 pm

At least he enjoys hunting and the outdoors. Hopefully he will grow from the whole experience. It still sounds like memories to me.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:10 am

It was a great day to be a dad! Really drilled home the importance of the impact dad's have with your kids. He was so worried that I was going to be disappointed with him.

The 30 minutes sitting on the grass talking it all through in the fading light was pretty special.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 am

15 yrs from now he will be standing over a slob remembering back to these first hunts.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:29 am

:clap: Cool write up Maine! Its not very often a good hunting story has no shot st the end of it. I think its awesome for a first time and he will laugh when hes older.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:00 am

My boys were both intimidated by guns until they were about 13. They grew out of it. I never make them go hunting or fishing. I ask n if they say no so be it. I believe most dedicated hunters are born that way. Its in the soul. Some have it n some don't.

Sometimes as parents we just need to give a little guidance n see where it leads. Sounds like you have already lit the flame for him. 9 is still very very young to be hunting. I think you are handling it the right way. Maybe a couple yrs of plinking varmints with a .22 before you head back out for firearm deer. A crossbow is a good idea too. Always make it fun. I remember when I was a kid the thing I enjoyed most with my Dad when we hunted was stopping at the store n getting a pop n jerky n chips. Kids see the world differently.

Good luck !!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 am

oldrank wrote:My boys were both intimidated by guns until they were about 13. They grew out of it. I never make them go hunting or fishing. I ask n if they say no so be it. I believe most dedicated hunters are born that way. Its in the soul. Some have it n some don't.

Sometimes as parents we just need to give a little guidance n see where it leads. Sounds like you have already lit the flame for him. 9 is still very very young to be hunting. I think you are handling it the right way. Maybe a couple yrs of plinking varmints with a .22 before you head back out for firearm deer. A crossbow is a good idea too. Always make it fun. I remember when I was a kid the thing I enjoyed most with my Dad when we hunted was stopping at the store n getting a pop n jerky n chips. Kids see the world differently.

Good luck !!!

Yeah that's what this weekend is all about. Good food...no vegetables. ..no pressure. The fire is lit. He is wanting to go to gun range this afternoon.

This is all about him. ..not about me. Not so everyone can see how great my kid is...which is then redirected back to me.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 am

I have had simular experiences with my son.

He was gun shy for several years. I am to blame for that for trying to push him to shoot before he was ready.

The first 4 years he hunted with me he would not shoot. He locked up on several deer and Turkeys.

It did not matter what I tried, he was afraid of the gun and would not shoot.

When he was 9 he decided to be comfortable shooting the gun. He went from being intimidated by the .410 to shooting my 12 ga. With no trouble. He killed 3 Turkey's with it that year and killed a buck with a crossbow.

If I could do it over I would spend a lot of time shooting a 22 lr. or something fun and not push him to shoot anything he is unsure of. I would try to make it as enjoyable as possible even if it took a year or two longer than I wanted so be it.
We had some great experiences in those first few years. In hindsight pulling the trigger is only a small part of the experience.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:35 am

Pretty easy to see you are a great Dad, Maine. You are handling it correctly. I can remember being intimidated when shooting shotgun slugs when I was young. I was flinching pretty bad the first few years.

He’a going to be fine. Like others have said 9 is super young. It’s kind of like jumping off the high dive for the first time. You are freaked out until you finally say screw it and jump. After that it’s no big deal anymore.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:36 am

What caliber is he shooting?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:11 am

Don’t sweat it. I got a nasty scope eye at that age and that one left me scared for awhile.

Eventually my dad got me shooting a 410 and a 22. Did lots of shooting and then I got a rifle and shotgun. Shot them a lot in controlled environments before ever hunting. Once I was old enough to hunt I was given my rifle and climber and told to go on my merry way.

I will say again, I get way more comfortable with guns when I am around them and shoot them more. Even my rifle, I try to get out a couple times each year to shoot.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 am

He's got plenty of time, no hurry. Could try the noise canceling ear muffs too.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:17 am

Lockdown wrote:What caliber is he shooting?

.243 going to look at some low recoil loads. Might buy a box and have him shoot those...than when he hunts, swap out the bullets the gun is dialed in with.

We will get to the bottom of it this week for sure.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 am

Nothing but memories. Sounds like beginning of some good times. Get those ear muffs.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Great job just getting him out...kids aren't the same as when we were young, more to do.You sound like you handled it very well. Be patient and positive 8-)
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”