Bouncing milkweed off deer...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Challenger
Facebook: No Drama Here

Re: Bouncing milkweed off deer...

Unread postby Challenger » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:34 am

Maybe you smelled so bad they thought you were a rotting carcass and not human! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have had deer walk straight down wind and do the same thing.
2014 E35
1973 Challenger
Public Land Hunter
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:51 am

Awesome!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:53 am

That's great!! :D Those are the deer that will get plucked
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:09 am

Hawthorne wrote:That's great!! :D Those are the deer that will get plucked

Stupid dies... Smart survives...
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:31 am

Good video Dan thanks.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 am

You think it is possible that younger deer. Are not as tuned into human scent until they can relate it with danger?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:52 am

dan wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:That's great!! :D Those are the deer that will get plucked

Stupid dies... Smart survives...

Yep. Thanks interesting video.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:18 am

I had the same thing happen the other night. Mama doe hit my trail and was on alert instantly and fawn was oblivious. She eventually moved on and didn't spook.
Joe™
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks for posting. Love the shirt :lol:
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:01 pm

Great video

Guys spend crazy money on products thinking they will fool a deers nose.
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Challenger wrote:Maybe you smelled so bad they thought you were a rotting carcass and not human! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have had deer walk straight down wind and do the same thing.

:lol: :lol:

I might sound crazy, but I actually think there's something to not bathing or cleaning your stuff.

I was always busted by more deer when I washed my stuff in scent free detergents and bathed in scent free soaps. I haven't washed my asat suit in probably 3 years. Lost track of how long it's been, don't care, it never gets cleaned though. Most of my stuff never gets washed, except socks and undies so they can't run away on their own. LOL....and they are done in the regular wash.

My asat suit is almost always on me though....so it gets sweaty, stinky, thrown in the cab of the truck with all kinds of smells. All my gear does.

Last night, I hadn't showered all week (just been working and hunting every day like Dan, too tired for that bathing nonsense) I stunk, bad. At 6:20 I had a big mature doe and a very big mature buck (he was shadowing her) come out of the bedding area and slip in behind me dead down wind at 25 yards (no shot, too thick), confirmed by milkweed all evening. She nosed the air several times but didn't react negatively. He didn't even flinch, was glued to her but like a buck that knows she's almost ready to stand (early, but not crazy early for that here). Thermals were sinking at that point too, so I thought for sure it was bust city and was preparing for the snorting and running.

Nothing. Not entirely shocked because I've seen it happen before, but I never know when or why it will. I simply don't understand why sometimes they bust, other times they don't. These are public land deer, get pressured to and back. Like I said too, these were mature deer. The buck is a big 10 I'd been glassing all summer and had an encounter with last year. I think he's 5 this year. The doe was a horse, so she has to be older too.

Here's where it gets more strange. They head out of sight. Can't see them after about 40 yards. Sounded like they got to about 150+ yards away, one of them starts snorting for a minute or so. They aren't even downwind anymore, but are kind of near where I had to pee on my way in. Now, I've seen deer un-phased by pee, and also freak out by pee, so who knows. Maybe they finally just hit my scent trail, which they also crossed un-phased right near me.

I dropped more milkweed when the one started snorting, the wind was definitely not going there. Unless it was turning out past where I could see and pooling elsewhere.

I don't claim to understand why or how, I just know that I get busted less when I don't shower. Crazy I know. Just sharing one example of my crazy experiences. I've had other experiences that worked out the same way, one even on the ground at very close range, but a young deer. And other cases where I think, how did they even bust me?

I guess its possible they think I'm a rotting corpse... or a misplaced gym bag full of socks and jocks. :lol:

And for the record, I don't rely on this at all to dupe deer. I do this mainly because I view scent control as a wasted effort and I'm kind of lazy and too tired to make all that effort. I just want to hunt. So I always use the wind as best I can, constantly a student of the wind. But I won't lie....it's a neat feeling when you stink and your scent has to be going to them and they just don't care.

Maybe I smell sexy. :shock:
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Oh and I was only 3 mini sticks high because of tree diameter and cover. Maybe 12' high. They should have smelled me. My unwashed clothing doesn't smell like body odor either, it actually has this musty, woodsy stink to it. Like a cross between a fox, rotting leaves and mold. Difficult to describe, but probably doesn't smell like you'd expect.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Deer are weird, I've experienced similar reactions. Sometimes they bolt, sometimes they don't care at all. Great video! You likely saved some guys $400 Dan!
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:52 pm

At 7:58 or so it looks like that deer picks up the milkweed in its mouth. I had a doe come in under my stand last year and actually was eating the milkweed that had fallen below my stand . I thought I was seeing things.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”