Finally Found One

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Fdept56

Finally Found One

Unread postby Fdept56 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:38 am

I found my first buck bed today. Jumped a big mature buck up about noon. Checked around and didn't see where the ground was wore out from him bedding so not sure if I just didn't find the exact spot or if he doesn't use it much. It's on a willow point in a marsh. Didn't find any sign around the area besides tracks. The public area is off limits to me for the next 5 days for a permit hunt. When I can go back in there should I be focusing on his bed or finding hot sign since it'll be so close to the rut? Not sure if people hunt this area much because I've never hunted it before. Thanks!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Finally Found One

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:50 am

Fdept56 wrote:I found my first buck bed today. Jumped a big mature buck up about noon. Checked around and didn't see where the ground was wore out from him bedding so not sure if I just didn't find the exact spot or if he doesn't use it much. It's on a willow point in a marsh. Didn't find any sign around the area besides tracks. The public area is off limits to me for the next 5 days for a permit hunt. When I can go back in there should I be focusing on his bed or finding hot sign since it'll be so close to the rut? Not sure if people hunt this area much because I've never hunted it before. Thanks!

It might be worth a shot, but it concerns me that you couldn't find beds. Might be better off looking for sign coming off points like rubs and scrapes near assumed bedding.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:16 am

Hearing that you couldn't find a worn out bed or multiple beds makes me wonder if that isn't a normal bed for that buck.
Fdept56

Unread postby Fdept56 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 am

That was my main concern. I started to hang a camera to leave until after season but hated to leave even more scent. The only fresh rubs were probably 200 yards away in a direction I don't think he would be going. I might have to just hunt around the bed a few days then scout some more.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”