New Hill County DVD. Michigan guys?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

New Hill County DVD. Michigan guys?

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 am

I haven't bought the new Hill Country DVD yet. I have the old one. How do they compare? Do any of the guys hunting the southern portion of the state use these tactics? Do you think it relates to our terrain?

Atrez76

Re: New Hill County DVD. Michigan guys?

Unread postby Atrez76 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:46 am

Northern MI for sure. But anywhere with hills I would say it applies. The newer DVD goes more in depth with maps and what to look for very,very informative.
rff

Unread postby rff » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:08 am

You can never go wrong learning more about thermals. Being a southern Mich guy, so much made sense after seeing the video.
Atrez76

Unread postby Atrez76 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:01 am

Hunting the beast way will change the way you hunt for sure. Even just finding deer is easier now.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:07 am

It was beneficial on private land I hunt with small hills in Michigan. Public the bucks are in the swamps and marshes in my area not on the ridges
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:31 am

Hawthorne wrote:It was beneficial on private land I hunt with small hills in Michigan. Public the bucks are in the swamps and marshes in my area not on the ridges

The hillier terrain by me is rolling, open hardwoods with little cover. It doesn't help they are mostly covered with foot trails for hiking too. Like you said the deer mainly bed in the swamps and denser transition zones.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:01 am

It's worth it to buy the DVD even if you don't hunt hills. Where I hunt I am yet to find buck bedding on any of the 20-30 foot elevations, they are in the swamps, marshes, and thick stuff. I have found some doe bedding on the hills. I am planning on using these tactics when I get down to Hoosier National forest in November.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:45 am

Ok, thanks guys. I do know some pretty hilly terrain in my area. I already have studied alot of the hill country principles. I have found some beds but only hunt a few of the sets. I also see most bedding in swamp/marsh.

I'm sure I'll get it sooner or later. I always enjoy Dan's videos. Just wondering how to utilize info in areas I hunt.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:32 pm

I am trying to borrow the DVDs from a friend. If I like what I see I may purchase the other sets as we have a mix of terrain where I hunt in SE Michigan, though no swamps that i'm aware of.
-The Deep
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 am

d_rek wrote:I am trying to borrow the DVDs from a friend. If I like what I see I may purchase the other sets as we have a mix of terrain where I hunt in SE Michigan, though no swamps that i'm aware of.

If you havent watched any of the DVDs yet then I suggest starting w the first HC & Marsh ones.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 am

Hawthorne wrote:It was beneficial on private land I hunt with small hills in Michigan. Public the bucks are in the swamps and marshes in my area not on the ridges

Ditto. To much pressure for them to care to ever be in the open, hilly hardwoods.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Man...I hunted northern Michigan last rifle season. Public land. I barely seen hunters. (2 in 4 days). And opening day I heard less than 10 shots.

I scouted the swamps first and just didn't find much sign. Nothing that said I aughta hunt there. Hills had sign where it should have been.

Locals said unless it's cold/snowy prior to gun season that the main herd doesn't head for the swamps...pressure and the winter send them there...

That made sense with what I was seeing..I was finding OLD sign. Trails rutted into the ground but not a fresh track or turd on them. Old rubs. Etc. I did find a few new scrapes and rubs and tracks but it was slim. Figure those are resident swamp deer.

Hoping to make it back this season. I know a little more and hopefully can fill the tag...I'm absolutely drawn to the swamps because I am sure there are mature bucks dying of old age in there. Just hard to hunt without fresh sign.

In the process of buying a house so not sure if I will make it... really hoping to..I enjoyed it last year and I'm out for revenge. Hopefully that 10 days or so the process is in limbo and I can make it. Just me and not going real far.. so not really concerned about packing and all that. Bad timing on my end lol.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:18 am

mauser06 wrote:Man...I hunted northern Michigan last rifle season. Public land. I barely seen hunters. (2 in 4 days). And opening day I heard less than 10 shots.

I scouted the swamps first and just didn't find much sign. Nothing that said I aughta hunt there. Hills had sign where it should have been.

Locals said unless it's cold/snowy prior to gun season that the main herd doesn't head for the swamps...pressure and the winter send them there...

That made sense with what I was seeing..I was finding OLD sign. Trails rutted into the ground but not a fresh track or turd on them. Old rubs. Etc. I did find a few new scrapes and rubs and tracks but it was slim. Figure those are resident swamp deer.

Hoping to make it back this season. I know a little more and hopefully can fill the tag...I'm absolutely drawn to the swamps because I am sure there are mature bucks dying of old age in there. Just hard to hunt without fresh sign.

In the process of buying a house so not sure if I will make it... really hoping to..I enjoyed it last year and I'm out for revenge. Hopefully that 10 days or so the process is in limbo and I can make it. Just me and not going real far.. so not really concerned about packing and all that. Bad timing on my end lol.

Northern lower penninsula, on some of the national forest land, you can hike for days and not encounter another hunter. Most of the NLP deer camps take place either the first two days of firearms season or the weekend immediately after. After that everyone packs up and heads home, leaving vast stretches of wilderness unmolested for long periods of time.
-The Deep
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 am

I was in the northern lower...

I think that was the deal...opened Tuesday and not many hunted till Saturday. Friday I saw a little spike in pressure but hunted the morning and had to head home.

This year it starts on a Wednesday..I finish work Sunday. Travel Monday and I don't have to head home till the day before Thanksgiving... tenatively. Hopefully it pans out. Maybe "deer" hunt the first couple days then setup for pressure on the weekend.

I setup for pressure on the opener and I sat till near dark when 8 doe fed through...I was shocked lol. I was a good mile deep in a lowland area figuring I have road access on 2 sides and easy enough access on the other 2 to put me in the center of the block in a funnel...sure was lonely. But it was nice. I enjoyed it.

Hopefully I make it...and hopefully I have snow. That'll be the game changer I think. I've never gotten to scout with snow..last year I left the day a big nasty storm laid a good blanket down. It was 70-80 degrees pretty much all week..I left and cried the entire way home lol
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm

mauser06 wrote:I was in the northern lower...

I think that was the deal...opened Tuesday and not many hunted till Saturday. Friday I saw a little spike in pressure but hunted the morning and had to head home.

This year it starts on a Wednesday..I finish work Sunday. Travel Monday and I don't have to head home till the day before Thanksgiving... tenatively. Hopefully it pans out. Maybe "deer" hunt the first couple days then setup for pressure on the weekend.

I setup for pressure on the opener and I sat till near dark when 8 doe fed through...I was shocked lol. I was a good mile deep in a lowland area figuring I have road access on 2 sides and easy enough access on the other 2 to put me in the center of the block in a funnel...sure was lonely. But it was nice. I enjoyed it.

Hopefully I make it...and hopefully I have snow. That'll be the game changer I think. I've never gotten to scout with snow..last year I left the day a big nasty storm laid a good blanket down. It was 70-80 degrees pretty much all week..I left and cried the entire way home lol

I thought your daily reports were super cool last yr. Hope you do it again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”