Hill Country-- Points and Fingers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hill Country-- Points and Fingers

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:13 am

I was trying to go through old threads and its frustrating because all the pics are gone it seems.

At the moment I'm focusing on points that go up to a ridgeline. I would guess that all points or fingers are not created equal.

One question I have is, if there are multiple points, but only one of them gets wider at the bottom by the flatland, does the point that covers more AREA or WIDTH at the lowest point work to funnel more deer up the finger than say a skinnier starting point? Im sure what below in the bottoms helps determine that, but if all is created equal, it seems like a wider starting point at the bottom is better.

E72
500 Club

Re: Hill Country-- Points and Fingers

Unread postby E72 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:42 am

Found this point on an aerial map because it looked thick at the middle to the top. I went in blind to hunt it. It was narrow at the base not too steep leading up the point . There was a buck bedded straight ahead 50-75 yards in the photo . Caught my wind before I got set up. I pushed too far up the point with a NW wind. I think he was bedded there for two reasons . Security and water . Not because of really wide terrain features. The point faced SE thick with only a few mature trees . Steep ravine to the west with an old clearcut to escape to and a creek feeding two beaver ponds. Didn't hurt there were some younger oaks still dropping acorns up behind his bed.
ChaseTM
Facebook: Facebook.com/crewsak

Unread postby ChaseTM » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:17 pm

E72, Would you mind taking a screenshot of your topo view of this point for reference?
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:28 am

ChaseTM wrote:E72, Would you mind taking a screenshot of your topo view of this point for reference?

Orange dot =Buck bed
NW wind
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 am

Nice setup E72! I like that pic you shared also

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”