Hunting binoculars

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Runt

Re: Hunting binoculars

Unread postby The Runt » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:38 am

As stated before, buy the best you can afford. I always say buy nice or buy twice! I have bought twice way to many times! I do hunt out west a lot so I run Swaro 10x42 el's. I would run 8x32 if I had a whitetail specific bino. I will say that once you have swaro's you won't look thru anything else.

Good luck

Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:31 am

Net Guy wrote:I use the Vortex Diamondback and love them. High quality glass at a good price with a terrific warranty. Hard to beat if you ask me. They are pretty compact too. I use the 10x42.

X2. My thoughts exactly. I got mine from cabelas last year on an online black friday sale. Actually, it may have been Thanksgiving day.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Net Guy wrote:I use the Vortex Diamondback and love them. High quality glass at a good price with a terrific warranty. Hard to beat if you ask me. They are pretty compact too. I use the 10x42.

I second this! I have the exact same ones. I truly believe you can't beat these binoculars. Though they can be a little heavy if you forget to bring a hook to hold em. So you may want an 8x42 depending on where you live. Nikons are nice, I just find it hard to beat the price vs quality especially during those low light circumstances.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
PeteD

Unread postby PeteD » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:51 am

The Runt wrote:As stated before, buy the best you can afford. I always say buy nice or buy twice! I have bought twice way to many times! I do hunt out west a lot so I run Swaro 10x42 el's. I would run 8x32 if I had a whitetail specific bino. I will say that once you have swaro's you won't look thru anything else.

Good luck

I second these sentiments exactly and do a lot of out west hunting besides Midwest Whitetail. Can’t beat a hd high end glass. For archery Whitetail I do run my smaller set a 8x32 hd. Very nice size for this. If you plan to go west and can only buy one bino get a 10x42 hd.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:30 am

A lot of guys like the Diamondbacks for the $. They are a good $200 pair of binocs. Don't pick up a $350+ pair of binoculars if you get Diamondbacks. Just use em and enjoy.

I went slightly better and then ended up trying someone's good glass and see the difference "quite clearly". My $350 binocs wash out and aren't as crisp for details. That would come in handy if I was trying to see antler tines or "score" an animal. I was originally very impressed and now know that they aren't all that. You do get what you pay for. $200 glass is $200 glass, $500 glass is $500 glass, $1000+ glass is amazing.

For the record, I've not looked thru Leica, Meopta, Swaro, or other "Alpha" glass. I do have a Leica scope and it basically does work in the dark - I'd expect the same clarity and light gathering out of the binocs in the 3 brands I mentioned.. Just need to have some serious disposable cash.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 am

Vortex for the money/warranty.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:25 am

Low light performance is crucial for me. 8x42 all the way. I have wind river made by leupold.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”