Scent=hang on vs. climber

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Scent=hang on vs. climber

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:11 am

Id say personally don't pay much attention to it. Pay more attention to where u think the buck is comming from and where u can get a shot before he hits ur scent stream. If u get up high above the thermal it's a bonus because some deer can think that smell is distant or old. And give u some time for a good shot. Pay more attention to setting up quietly and setting up to give u the best opportunity to get a shot before he smells you.

Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 am

Rick_Winter wrote:what do you guys do to combat sweaty molle II straps and waist belt. Hiking in over a mile my last 2 sits I know they are sweaty. Yet the doe I shot on Monday paid no attention. Now it is a heavily used gamelands, so I think they are a lot less worried about smelling people there since it is year round hikers.

I use my whole body to hold sticks in place and bare hands to climb. This is an interesting topic to discuss!

Don't do anything to account for sweat. If they stink there is a good chance the source of the sweat smells even worse(you). Just keep the wind in your favor and watch your access is all you can do.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 am

daveynewman wrote:Id say personally don't pay much attention to it. Pay more attention to where u think the buck is comming from and where u can get a shot before he hits ur scent stream. If u get up high above the thermal it's a bonus because some deer can think that smell is distant or old. And give u some time for a good shot. Pay more attention to setting up quietly and setting up to give u the best opportunity to get a shot before he smells you.

Exactly
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I was trying to reflect on Dan's experience a bit in the case that the only chance you have is on a wind that is risky and having the ability to get above the downward thermals while still having a concern about the scent you're leaving all the way down the tree.

I read an in-depth study on how long a scent holds. According to that study the parts per million was still at levels a deer can smell even after a bare hand touched it 24 hours prior. Just interesting to hear if anyone has paid enough attention to this.

We can all say the buck will be dead before he gets into the scent stream however if it's a deer that you're not shooting smells this and causes the other to run for the hills it's a concern IMO. But that's based on my experience.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 am

Yea you will run into that but the way I look at it is, we are hunting bed specific. Now let's say u know the buck bed is 50 to 100 yards from you and a buck comes out and it's not the caliber u were after or it wasn't the buck that normally uses that bed. Then mark it off and hunt it again later in the year when the conditions are right. It's takes multiple tries to get it right. Many mistakes to learn lessons.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”