Bump and Dump questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kevin2

Bump and Dump questions

Unread postby Kevin2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am

OK, I've read plenty of old threads and watched some videos. Just looking for opinions on this situation.

I bumped a big buck out of his bed, set up a stand, he returned a few hours later, BUT I couldn't get a shot at 18 yards. I hunted it that evening & 2 days later. He likely got a whiff of my tracks/scent in that area on his return, but did not bug out or get all nutty. He just went back from where he came.

I've left the area alone now for 2 weeks AND I have 2 days this coming weekend with the perfect wind again. My plan is to come in a couple hours before sun up, set up a decoy too, get in my stand, and just wait it out? Is the decoy over kill? It is so thick, I'm just trying to give him something to go to and see OTHER then me. I have 2 trees, the one is just yards from his bed, and the other is 18 yards away. THOSE are the only 2 downwind trees available for this wind on public land where I can't trim things out.

"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Bump and Dump questions

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm

I haven’t successfully bumped and dumped a buck but in my opinion, I’d leave the decoy out of the equation. You want things as natural as they can be and a decoy that isn’t moving may make him suspicious.

I’d also pick the tree that you weren’t in when he came back after you initially jumped him.

If you’re worried about him seeing you in the tree, can you try to setup with the tree between you and him? You know where he’s going to be coming from and where your shot is, so set up so you can make the shot but not be totally exposed. With that being said, are you sure you know how he accesses his bedding area? Are you far enough downwind of his bedding area so if he scent checks it, you won’t get busted?
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:54 pm

I have it set up where the tree is in front of me IF his pattern is the same. I might try to get higher in the tree as well. I'm only about 18-20 feet.

To scent check it "better" he has to go out into the cut corn OR standing corn. I'm pretty sure this is his scent checking trail, which is up against the corn just inside the tree line in the super thick stuff. The trail is faint, but it is there AND I only know it is there because I saw him walk up and leave from it.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:02 am

Sounds like you have a plan to at least give it a shot. Good luck!
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 am

what do you think about the doe decoy idea?

xpauliber wrote:Sounds like you have a plan to at least give it a shot. Good luck!
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:28 am

I would forget the decoy.
It will just put him on alert imo.
GOOD LUCK!!
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:30 am

OK, I'll give it a go without the decoy then...I'll let you know how it all plays out.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:07 am

I'm with the other guys, I'd forget the decoy. I'm really excited to see how this plays out. Keep us updated.
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 pm

A decoy that is not out in the open where a deer can see it from a distance will cause that buck to jump out of his skin. Learned this the hard way, multiple times.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:25 pm

I planned on putting it on the travel lane between the corn and the woods. Not taking it, but I've actually killed more then one deer inside deep cover with my decoys. Calling them in and then icing them with decoys to bow range in deep cover bedding areas, and just deer catching a glimpse of them while passing, which stalled them long enough for me to kill em. I have read about the deer being spooked by decoys not in the open, but I've found them to work for me.

Mgaspari wrote:A decoy that is not out in the open where a deer can see it from a distance will cause that buck to jump out of his skin. Learned this the hard way, multiple times.
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 am

Kevin2 wrote:I planned on putting it on the travel lane between the corn and the woods. Not taking it, but I've actually killed more then one deer inside deep cover with my decoys. Calling them in and then icing them with decoys to bow range in deep cover bedding areas, and just deer catching a glimpse of them while passing, which stalled them long enough for me to kill em. I have read about the deer being spooked by decoys not in the open, but I've found them to work for me.

Mgaspari wrote:A decoy that is not out in the open where a deer can see it from a distance will cause that buck to jump out of his skin. Learned this the hard way, multiple times.

Interesting; I have not used one in a few years but maybe I need to re visit that. I like what you are saying on how to use it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”