Stand approach tip

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Stand approach tip

Unread postby Hatchetman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Now with the leaves coming down hard its more noisy getting into to your spots. Not to mention the leaves covering up all those dry sticks making each calculated foot placement tough.

I'm sure most of you guys already do this but I thought I'd bring it up .
Make a conscious effort to lift your toes slightly so your heel hits the ground first then kind of roll the rest of your foot down.
Stepping this way will cut your leaf noise in half. It also helps you feel those sticks under foot better so if your paying attention and have good balance you can abort that step.
The more you lift your toes the less noise you will make.
Try sometime walking like this but instead of rolling your foot forward stay as much as you can on your heels. It's tough walking this way any distance and you will no doubt look like a baffoon but you you'd be surprised how close you will sound to a deer walking! :shhh:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Stand approach tip

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 am

Planning your path helps too... I look ahead at the path I am taking. Can I walk down that log? Can I step on those rocks? Is there a more open path...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 am

Also using the other noise to cover your steps. Only move during wind gusts. Cars driving by. Airplanes flying over. Birds chirping. Whatever you can use to help mask your access.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:12 am

I did all these things the other day, with great success. I also hunkered down if I did crunch a stick or made a human noise and was patient the and waited for the woods and the birds to start making their regular noise again before I started to make my way once more. Thanks for the tips!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:36 am

tgreeno wrote:Also using the other noise to cover your steps. Only move during wind gusts. Cars driving by. Airplanes flying over. Birds chirping. Whatever you can use to help mask your access.

This has worked excellent for me. A few years ago I hunted 50 yards of the road in a cedar stand. There was 2 feet of snow and the top was crusted. I spotted a deer a ways off across an opening. I decided to crawl on my knees. Each time I moved I waited for the deer to be distracted or looking the other way feeding on those cedars while simultaneously moving only as a car passed by on the road to cover the noise. Got within 10 yards and as I drew back a doe blew at me....busted. Little did I realize until then deer took off from all directions, I was standing in the middle of them.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:38 am

Ragingun wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Also using the other noise to cover your steps. Only move during wind gusts. Cars driving by. Airplanes flying over. Birds chirping. Whatever you can use to help mask your access.

This has worked excellent for me. A few years ago I hunted 50 yards of the road in a cedar stand. There was 2 feet of snow and the top was crusted. I spotted a deer a ways off across an opening. I decided to crawl on my knees. Each time I moved I waited for the deer to be distracted or looking the other way feeding on those cedars while simultaneously moving only as a car passed by on the road to cover the noise. Got within 10 yards and as I drew back a doe blew at me....busted. Little did I realize until then deer took off from all directions, I was standing in the middle of them.

Sounded like an awesome encounter!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”