No Hot Sign But 5 Mature Bucks Seen

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wetfoot
500 Club

Re: No Hot Sign But 5 Mature Bucks Seen

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:18 am

Dan has said before that mature bucks leave sign for a reason. If the sex ratio is lopsided or the mature buck has no peers, then the sign won't pop up till the timing is right. Here in the UP that typically starts about now. There is usually good scraping and rubbing in the late summer/ early fall beds if he's telling his competition to stay out, this area is mine. Those early beds may not even be used come the rut. :think: IMO.

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:52 am

Im in central-PA (Clearfield County) and was just expressing this concern to some buddies of mine. I KNOW the bucks are in some of these locations from seeing them shining but the lack of sign has me baffled! I'm either not in the right areas or this year is just a weird off year...I'm starting to think the latter.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:55 am

My most rubbed up property only had one rub on a dogwood limb when I was there a couple weeks ago. I couldn’t believe it.

I’ve seen a total of 4 or 5 rubs all season. I’m sure it will pick up, but at the same time it’s something to keep in mind for spring scouting too. Might not be as much buck sign as we usually see :think:
Bravov2

Unread postby Bravov2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:36 am

One spot I hunt is tore up from the floor up everywhere you walk. All the others sign is lacking. The only thing I can think of is the property tore up you don't find an oak tree for miles. The food is gas lines, hay fields, clear cuts and random browse. However there was a good apple crop around the perimeters and they are fighting for the beds around the best food is my guess. It also seems the buck to doe ratio on that piece is Pretty close to even. All the other places, much like everywhere else in PA I hunt its uneven and oaks are plentiful.
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Very interesting to hear y'all say this. Went scouting the other day and found one small scrape. Been starting to second guess myself. But maybe it is a weird year..... Glad down others are seeing the same thing. Gives me confidence to hunts spots as intended rather than move on because if pack of sign

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”