Where bucks bed according to wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WVDEER10

Where bucks bed according to wind?

Unread postby WVDEER10 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 am

I live in WV, there are rolling hills where I am at.

I understand that bucks like to bed on the leeward side of a point,bench, or random flat spot with a tree behimd them somewhere normally 1/3 down from the top. This is where I find most rubs and buck beds.

What I'm confused about is this. Where does a buck bed when it is calm? I understand he can still use thermals to his advantage. So he may bed in a holler in the morning and then move high for late morning and most of the day.

But without a steady wind how do you make an educated guess on where he may bed for the day or what side of the hill he may cruise during the seeking phase of the rut?

Yesterday was easy. We had a steady NNW wind and I hunted a southern facing slope that I had found buck bedding in.

But tomorrow it is supposed to be CALM until 10am.

Thanks for the help that will be coming! TJ

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Where bucks bed according to wind?

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am

Even on calm days there is usually some kind of air current. It's much harder to predict though. But most of the good beds I find have some kind of barrier to the back and a good visual out front. He just has to rely more on his other senses on calm days. There will still be some thermal activity though.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”