Saddles

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Saddles

Unread postby OHBB24 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

I have a large saddle in big ridge system but I'm not certain where to set up. Where is ideal spot, up on top within saddle, down at head of draw on bench system? I'm entering this property during rut phase and never hunted it before and just curious where beasts like to setup.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Saddles

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Generally yes I like the tops of them but still setup on the leeward side to account for the deer trails, scent and cruising bucks. I try to go as much on the top as possible but still having milkweed blow over the upper deer trail on the leeward side and still shoot to that deer trail. If deer activity tells me to adjust then I do it but one key to that is having the best scent setup possible for that observation. Hope that made sense. :twocents-twocents:
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 pm

I like to position myself around the tips on either end of the saddle based on wind. When you have the off winds such as NW or SE etc. Basically just setup accordingly on the lee side of the saddle. That way deer can pass thru the saddle and at no point should they wind you. The only thing I've not gotten down all the way is the access route. I usually J hook the location a bit but haven't really gone wide enough yet I guess because the deer always cross my entry trail and get really nervous after that.
bass28

Unread postby bass28 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:29 am

It's nice to see a topo I can relate to! Looks like the areas I have hunted for more than 30 years, I just wish there was more written about tactics for saddles, flats and other subtle parts of high country.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:15 pm

The problem with saddles are they are very heavily hunted. On public land you can bet every saddle gets hunted.

Most mature bucks 4 or older avoid them because of this. If your happy with a 2-3 year old and want too see a lot of deer saddles are great.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 pm

bass28 wrote:It's nice to see a topo I can relate to! Looks like the areas I have hunted for more than 30 years, I just wish there was more written about tactics for saddles, flats and other subtle parts of high country.

Yep same here. Mapping Trophy Bucks is about all ya got as far as a book that outlines our south central PA type terrain. I look at areas in Ohio and it looks so nice compared to around here!
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:25 pm

RidgeReaper wrote:
bass28 wrote:It's nice to see a topo I can relate to! Looks like the areas I have hunted for more than 30 years, I just wish there was more written about tactics for saddles, flats and other subtle parts of high country.

Yep same here. Mapping Trophy Bucks is about all ya got as far as a book that outlines our south central PA type terrain. I look at areas in Ohio and it looks so nice compared to around here!

I’m considering buying that book ($25) Is it worth it? Does it have anymore insight that is not already on this forum? I understand Henson plays the wind differently?
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Why so? My terrain in IN has features similar but not exact. What terrain features are you guys thinking produce bigger/older deer?
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Regarding the map posted it looks like the setup is higher in the saddle. If there is a draw coming up toward saddle would hunting draw be good idea? I posted a pic of my huntin property on the maps and land management section two days ago. If u expand the pic a little on the link u will see the saddle I am referring to just north of the 1000 foot marker. I suppose trial an error is the best approach but with only a few days to hunt a year I want the best location possible
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 pm

I hunt big ridge systems in WV mountains with a lot of saddles. I have tried hunting saddles with limited success. For the most part I agree with DK and ridge reaper on how to set up. Just always be ready to adjust based on wind. I think my problem is that there are so many saddles in these mountains that they almost cancel each other out. It seems like our saddles are mostly wide open and not something I could see a mature buck using in daylight other than if he is on a hot doe.

When I hunt saddles now, which is rare, there needs to be multiple terrain features coming together there, or cliffs, or something that really funnels the deer down to use that saddle. Just a saddle alone is not worth hunting from my experience. I look for the overlooked small saddles that deer almost have to use based on terrain features.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:34 am

Would u post up on top like map shows if u can drop down and head of a draw say 100 yards down from top of saddle?
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:52 pm

HoosierG5 wrote:Why so? My terrain in IN has features similar but not exact. What terrain features are you guys thinking produce bigger/older deer?

I'm not really thinking the terrain itself produces the bigger deer. I know there are big deer around here but it's just harder to look at a topo and make good assumptions based off what I know about hill bedding. These long ridges like I have are tough to map...basically just gotta put in miles all winter long to find all the sweet spots.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:36 am

Like any other terrain funnel a saddle is worthless if they have no reason to go through it.
Where I would setup would be determined by the wind and where I can access it from.
As far as choosing to hunt the saddle or the ditch head, I'd say whichever one the wind is better for and access. I wouldn't rule either out when the conditions are right try them.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:28 am

Setting up there just because it's a saddle means nothing. Why are deer using that point to cross over? Even bucks in rut travel with a purpose, and if doesn't serve as a travel corridor between doe bedding it is useless. I don't find many areas in my long running ridges where a buck is going to want to cross over to the North ridge at a predicatble point.

Is it even thick enough? Thick cover will trump a wide open saddle any day.

What is the rock and mountain laurel situation? Those are huge influence on deer movements in Central PA ridges like the map Ridgereaper posted. Try to find a winter aerial to figure that out.

You say it's a large saddle, what does that mean? Large as in a wide space between the high points? Or large elevation change? The latter is better obviously. If it's several hundred yards between high points with a flat in between your funnel effect obviously diminishes.

Are there benches that spur off the saddle? Often times that happens and following those down can yield better setups than the saddle itself. Once you get boots in there and start to answer some of those questions you can put the puzzle pieces together.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”