Mid October bachelor groups

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blinginpse

Mid October bachelor groups

Unread postby Blinginpse » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 am

Had encounters yesterday evening and this morning with 2 mature bucks in bachelor groups. Both different 3-4 deer groups and 2 miles apart. Question is for you guys. In later October deer still in small unbroken bachelor groups if conditions are same say Tomorrow morning same as this morning. What's the chances of deer following the same routine?

I know dan has talked of them being routine in September but never anyone mention habits this late into October. They was going along eating acorns big buck postured a spike and pushed him away and other 2 smaller bucks came running to me off parallel ridge to
Me then he showed up 4-5 minutes later. I scouted the spot in late August made first set this morning seen where mature buck went 80 yards south this morning as he passed by. So after I got down I speed scouted after And found where I can make a set on his travel
From today. Worries me he may follow the edge like the smaller deer did this Morning though.

I feel I may be a fool if I don't make sure they don't make the same mistake in the morning. Catch is the edge I was on small bucks come dead by me mature deer went 80 yards south and crossed up a small whiteoak point that doesn't have nuts all the reds in the area do.

Also to note lots of old trees been rubbed in years past in there and is rubs there now size my leg

headgear
500 Club

Re: Mid October bachelor groups

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am

Twice I have run into bachelor groups of mature bucks in early to mid oct, might even be a thread about it around here. One was broad daylight with 5 big bucks running across a highway, the other was me catching some eyes and amazed to shine the headlights to see 4 nice bucks together. Has to be something to it, maybe they are establishing some kind of pecking order before the rut kicks off or something. Don't know for sure but it is interesting that is for sure.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 am

This time of year yes I have seen some decent bucks grouped up still. One year we had a warm season all the way through Nov even, the opener of rifle was 68-70*. My buddy jumped 3 good bucks bedded close together, midday. Im sure some type of rut related reason could be involved but it was amazing the fact they tolerated each other in close proximity at that time of year.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 am

They are still in batchlor groups in tn for the most part a few bucks are Just loners.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”