Going in Blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Going in Blind

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:21 am

jpsmith270 wrote:Thanks everyone for the confirmation. Its just good to bounce these types of things off others to keep my tactics in check.

I ended up bumping a buck that was working a scrape on the point I was going in on. Also saw a lot of fresh sign and a fresh bed on the same point. Definitely going to be a place that I drop a camera to see what is using the area. I will be very surprised if this area gets any hunting pressure because it is so far back and there is not much to the terrain that would attract anyone to this area.

Sounds like a great hunt to me.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Ballistic_RT

Unread postby Ballistic_RT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 am

jpsmith270 wrote:I have the opportunity to hunt this evening, but I do not have any current setups that I can use with the current wind. I am looking to go to an area that I want to scout following the season, but I have never set foot on this ground before.

Based upon the wind and terrain, I am going to go in and setup as if I knew a buck was bedded on the end of one of these favorable points. It will be somewhat of a "scout" just by going in there, but it will also provide some observation of the area.

Question to all the Beasts: Am I wrong for having this mindset and trying this? I have zero intel on this area.....no photos, no offseason scouting......not anything at all. Just acting as if a buck would be using it based upon the current wind.

How are you able to add an image to the post? I cant get it to add one to the post or even in message.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:25 am

paynetrain wrote:
jpsmith270 wrote:
jpsmith270 wrote:
rff wrote:Sounds like you should trust yourself a little more next time. Sounds like it was a successful hunt, even though you didn't bag the big buck.

Yep.....I guess with the implementation of these Beast tactics over the past 1-2 years, I feel more comfortable to double check my tactics to keep myself in check and to gauge how I am doing. I have felt very vulnerable ever since I canned 99% of the tactics I used to use prior to the Beast.

I just want to be sure I don't find myself falling back on some old habits ;)

**First post on the beast!**
Thanks for posting this thread, I'm just starting these tactics since being turned onto them this spring. Trying to set myself up for next year and all my hunts this year will be "blind" (tons of time examining topos) so it's nice to see someone get confirmation of basically the same thing I'll be doing all year. Good luck!

Good luck this year to you as well. You are exactly where I was last year. My goal has been to learn something every single hunt and to become better with each year that passes. You are in a great place. Learn all you can, apply those things to the field, and remain teachable. It can become information overload sometimes because I want to soak up everything that is tossed around on here, but I have had to learn to pace myself.

I love to plan and I have had to make short and longterm goals for myself that are attainable and reasonable. I would recommend the same for anyone new to The Beast. This even comes down to the deer you are hunting. I heard Dan say once before that your kill goals need to be realistic to the deer on your property. If you want to take nothing smaller than a 160 class deer, but the biggest thing on your property is a 120 class, then you need to adjust your goals. The same goes for everything else as well. Scouting (learning an area takes time), time you can put into it (Rome wasn't built in a day), and the results you want to obtain in year 1, 2, 3, and so on.

Hope this helps & good luck this year!
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:33 am

Ballistic_RT wrote:
jpsmith270 wrote:I have the opportunity to hunt this evening, but I do not have any current setups that I can use with the current wind. I am looking to go to an area that I want to scout following the season, but I have never set foot on this ground before.

Based upon the wind and terrain, I am going to go in and setup as if I knew a buck was bedded on the end of one of these favorable points. It will be somewhat of a "scout" just by going in there, but it will also provide some observation of the area.

Question to all the Beasts: Am I wrong for having this mindset and trying this? I have zero intel on this area.....no photos, no offseason scouting......not anything at all. Just acting as if a buck would be using it based upon the current wind.

How are you able to add an image to the post? I cant get it to add one to the post or even in message.

1. Upload your image on post images: http://postimages.org
2. Copy the "direct link"
3. Choose the "insert image" icon above the body of the message
4. Paste direct link in between the "insert image" brackets
5. Submit
Ballistic_RT

Unread postby Ballistic_RT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Thank you
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”