So close! Now what..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tempy

So close! Now what..

Unread postby Tempy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm

First off I want to say that the information and tactics all of you provide is priceless. I got on a mature buck tonight on my 4th sit of the year by picking a new/never scouted spot on the map based on wind, in a 4,000 acre public PA hill country piece of ground, and was 50 yards away from killing a stud. That is AWESOME. Never would have happened with my old ways and I was STOKED even though I didn't get a shot.

Here is my setup below for reference sake. Northwest wind, approached with green line on hiking trail to green dot, blue dot is presumed buck bedding location. I was setup right on the military crest expecting him to come just above or below me. He ended up taking the yellow arrow and came across the hillside 50 yards lower than I setup for. It was a windy day so not sure if he bedded a little lower on the point to avoid the wind or if that was just his exit route I am not sure? I was right in the thermal tunnel, was I silly for setting up that high for this set? He ended up catching my dropping thermals and snorted and trotted off. Was easily a 3.5+ big old PA buck with a great tall rack.

My question is what the heck do I do now?! Do I hunt the same point with similar winds? Or should I plan to hunt nearby locations thinking that he won't be back in that exact location for a long while considering he smelled me? I have PLENTY of public land at my disposal to hunt other areas and feel like I should keep pounding other locations, but it is hard to not follow up knowing that there is a mature buck in that area and how close I was to it!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: So close! Now what..

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 pm

I would hunt the same area with an adjustment to where you seen him one more time then start hunting all the nearby bedding areas.
huntinsonovagun

Re: So close! Now what..

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:37 pm

I would be careful of the amount of info you put on the internet. With a little research, I don’t think your spot would be hard to find....just trying to keep you from getting burned. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”