Accidental bump and dump succes and failure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blakebry123

Accidental bump and dump succes and failure

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 am

What's up guys. So I went out hunting on Friday afternoon. I parked the truck and moved to the swamp edges. I decided to scout the opposite way of which I had planned to hunt just to check for sign. So I did some quick recon, didn't like what I saw, and decided to proceed to where I wanted to hunt. While heading that way to hunt, I bumped something inside the edges of the swamp. Heard it take off running but it never snorted. So, just in case it could still hear me, I kept walking. I move towards the area I wanted to hunt and just could stop thinking about the deer I bumped. I didn't know if it was a buck or doe, so I decided to head back to that area and hunt it. Once I got close to where I had bumped it, I snuck in and set back up as quietly as possible. Got setup and about 2 hours later, I heard the deer making its way back. Continuously worked its way towards me through the thicket for about an hour or so. All of a sudden, sounded like a deer was behind me as well, so I slowly stood up and turned around to look. Didn't see anything, so slowly turned back to face the thicket, and I got busted.....the deer took off and snorted for a country mile. I don't think it saw me because it never came out of the thicket. So I'm just left to assume it smelled me and didn't like it. If I could do it again. I would've just set up immediately upon bumping it the second time instead of back tracking over my same trail. But you live and you learn! He was about 30 yards from me, 10 of which were thicket.

Instagram: live_to_ride_94
Snapchat: blakebry123

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and share my videos:
https://youtu.be/DQ1qTOOgfKo
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Accidental bump and dump succes and failure

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 am

Good post! :handgestures-thumbupright:
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:43 am

Happened to a buddy and I last night. However, my buddy didnt set up on the jumped deer. I pondered the idea. :think:
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Good post. I just had this same thing happen where I jumped my target buck on the walk in. He was bedded a little closer to my access than I planned. As soon as he bounded out of sight I pretty much ran to the known bed he had been using. He came back to it within ten minutes and luckily I was just about done setting up when he came in! He bedded at 24 yards and I shot him when he stood up. Was pretty cool to see and a big eye opener for me!
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Blakebry123 wrote:What's up guys. So I went out hunting on Friday afternoon. I parked the truck and moved to the swamp edges. I decided to scout the opposite way of which I had planned to hunt just to check for sign. So I did some quick recon, didn't like what I saw, and decided to proceed to where I wanted to hunt. While heading that way to hunt, I bumped something inside the edges of the swamp. Heard it take off running but it never snorted. So, just in case it could still hear me, I kept walking. I move towards the area I wanted to hunt and just could stop thinking about the deer I bumped. I didn't know if it was a buck or doe, so I decided to head back to that area and hunt it. Once I got close to where I had bumped it, I snuck in and set back up as quietly as possible. Got setup and about 2 hours later, I heard the deer making its way back. Continuously worked its way towards me through the thicket for about an hour or so. All of a sudden, sounded like a deer was behind me as well, so I slowly stood up and turned around to look. Didn't see anything, so slowly turned back to face the thicket, and I got busted.....the deer took off and snorted for a country mile. I don't think it saw me because it never came out of the thicket. So I'm just left to assume it smelled me and didn't like it. If I could do it again. I would've just set up immediately upon bumping it the second time instead of back tracking over my same trail. But you live and you learn! He was about 30 yards from me, 10 of which were thicket.

That's a good hunt in my book.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 pm

flinginairos wrote:Good post. I just had this same thing happen where I jumped my target buck on the walk in. He was bedded a little closer to my access than I planned. As soon as he bounded out of sight I pretty much ran to the known bed he had been using. He came back to it within ten minutes and luckily I was just about done setting up when he came in! He bedded at 24 yards and I shot him when he stood up. Was pretty cool to see and a big eye opener for me!

Dude, awesome job.

Reminds my of my first archery and beast methods kill except it took about an hour or so. I bumped two bucks and set up near their bedding but at the original tree I had wanted to hang in.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Still a great encounter. It takes a lot of confidence to set up on it. Most people would have moved on and not even had the encounter but at least now you can learn from it plus have a new possible bed location.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm

I bumped one in an unexpected spot early Saturday afternoon. I setup hoping for the return, but it never happened. Saturday was early inline doe season so there was extra pressure in the woods. I've been pondering if he was where he was because of inline hunting pressure. When I get a chance I might try hunting him as if he frequents the bed I haven't decided. One time in the past I bumped a lone doe from the same spot. That was November 3 2015 and I figured she was hiding from excited 1.5 year olds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”