escape route

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

westmichigander

escape route

Unread postby westmichigander » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:57 am

So this is my 1st year employing some of the beast tactics but unfortunately I came to the party a little late before the season started so I can only do so much but I'm building my knowledge bank for seasons to come.

I married into a farming family and have access to roughly 250 acres of farm land but being a proud public land owner I was intrigued by the Beast ways.
needless to say I knew going into this year would be basically summed up under the subtitle "Failure" but I was sure to learn a lot. On Michigan opening day, My 1st sit on public land and I had scouted somewhat and thought I found this perfect spot to give it a try. I snuck back in this little transition area where the hardwoods meet swampy transition and I finally get my stand all set up and I'm about to pull my bow rope up to the stand when in the distance I hear a speaker blaring "Boys Round here" by Blake Shelton and within minutes 3 people on horse came trouncing through the woods and within 10 yds of me in my stand. At this point I realized this season might take slightly more mental toughness than I had originally anticipated.

Fast forward two weekends I wanted to give the Farm a try. Our farm is set up much like many farms that have been hunted for years. Many stationary stands in the obvious spots overlooking the obvious openings. That said, I thought maybe I'd take my LW hang on into "the big woods" of the farm and by using a topo map go where I figured the deer were using the hill.

Oddly enough we have predominately SW winds but this ridge on this hill was the windward side. It was loaded with fresh big rubs all over and even a big scrape. My 1st night I set up and I saw more deer that night than I'd seen the year previous total. I passed on a nice little 8 point that had it been public ground I would have likely sent an arrow flying.

At the end of the evening though I was surrounded, it was getting dark and I eventually there was nothing I could do and I was snorted at by a Doe. I watched as all sorts of white tails pointed straight in the air bounding in all different directions away from my stand. At this point I figured it was a good time to get down. This leads to my question, how do you get out of these spots without bumping every deer on your property?
There are only so many "good" spots and I feel like I may have just blown any chance at that spot by letting them know I was there.
I went back the following night and saw one Doe, it just had that vibe that things had been disturbed.

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: escape route

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 am

Take that "failure" and learn something from it...I totally understand when you say the farm may have only a few good spots. That is basically why most beasts build a bank of diff. areas to hunt. Dan always says a piece of property, regardless of size, can be broken down and maybe 10% is what you need to scout. The rest may hold deer but, does and small bucks, or not much of anything.
I would let it sit for 3-4 wks and hit it again knowing you might get stuck in your stand...I would doubt it because by that time deer will be behaving much differently...Post a pic and I would guess that a beast can give a tip or two...go get "em :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am

If you can’t exit undetected, your spot might only be good for one hunt. Entry is huge for the first hunt, exit is equally important if you want a chance at a second hunt
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:25 am

Jonny wrote:If you can’t exit undetected, your spot might only be good for one hunt. Entry is huge for the first hunt, exit is equally important if you want a chance at a second hunt

This is spot on!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”