What is your best tactics for Oct 20th thru Oct 31st

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cuzzinfish

Re: What is your best tactics for Oct 20th thru Oct 31st

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:29 pm

wkpjs wrote:Keeping the upcoming weather pattern in mind, what is your time-tested go-to tactic for the upcoming final days in Oct. I understand that weather is a key but for this discussion, let's assume that you have a 10 MPH SW wind and 60 degrees for a high.

I prefer mornings because the low temps are likely into the 40’s, and I look for hidden little transition areas near doe bedding and some form of browse (it can be as simple as falling hedge or red maple leaves). I say hidden because I hunt public. In my area, I’ve had luck with buck encounters in these areas because they start checking the downwind side of the doe bedding during the last week of October. When I hunt afternoons, I go in really early because I’ve atually had more sightings mid-afternoon than near dusk, especially if the highs drop into the low 50’s or 40’s.

brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 pm

We usually have different wind everyday so I will be bouncing around hunting upwind of doe bedding, between doe bedding and buck bedding, and may hunt some scrapes between doe bedding. I prefer mornings because it is much cooler, and rising thermals work better for most of my spots. I usually see does come back to bed up high in the mountains between 9 and 10 in the morning. Seems like in the evening they are not up much before dark and I usually bump more deer getting out in the dark.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
wkpjs

Unread postby wkpjs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks for the 2 cents! I was having a hard time deciding where to sit on the public piece that I am hunting this AM like in a few hours. If I smoke him the credit is all yours. Thanks
Be Safe

Jason
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm

I will still be hunting near beds in the afternoons, but colder mornings will deserve a sit as well. It is also when I start nailing down where the current doe groups are, because in another week or two that is where I'll want to be.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”