Weather providers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Weaver.b

Weather providers

Unread postby Weaver.b » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Does anyone have the perfect weather info source? Id love to have access to a graph that shows temp. Pressure and wind together. Ultimately I just need some references of your favorite weathe provider.

When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
vtbuck
500 Club

Re: Weather providers

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:54 pm

I use scoutlook. It's s combo between weather, gps, logs, and other info. I like it. I also check several local and national sites. Weatherbug, Accuweather, etc... I main am looking for wind direction and barometric pressure. Hope that helps.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Many, if not most, of us use Weather Underground. It is as accurate as anything I've seen, and has historical weather that is especially useful for analyzing trail cam pics. However, the app does not overlay barometric pressure with the other factors like you're looking for (not sure about the full website).
Not all those who wander are lost...
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:19 pm

About the only forecast I will trust is the National Weather Service......it's more or less where all other forecasters gets their info from.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 am

I use Weather Underground also and use the 10 day forecast. This has a black line for the forecast barometric pressure for the next 10 days. Its great for looking at the sharp changes in pressure. Also has wind direction and speed.
wkpjs

Unread postby wkpjs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 am

I also use wundergraound.com because it gives such a good reference to the pressure. I put more stock in what the NWS has to say regarding the actual forecast.
Be Safe

Jason
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 am

Big Picture Forecast - https://huntthefront.blog/
Real Time Weather - Scoutlook or Weather Channel
Historical Reference - Weather Underground
Historical Wind Stats - windfinder.com
Cool Wind Reference - windy.com
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:02 am

For point forecast information I would go to the National Weather Service, or you can go right to a data source and look at some weather models at either [url]weather.cod.edu[/url] or http://www.pivotalweather.com. I think for general purposes Wunderground is sufficient for point forecasts. I, however, will always complain about Wunderground/Accuweather and other such sites because more often than not they just plug a model forecast in for a million locations across the country and there's not much actual meteorology involved. In contrast, each NWS office is responsible for only parts of a single state so these forecasts are going to be made with much more attention to that specific location. BUT, Wunderground is pretty great for monitoring current conditions because they include 100s of thousands of personal weather stations across the country into their data maps. That is, of course, assuming you trust people to properly calibrate their personal weather stations.

I'll make a shameless plug here also:

I run a website that discusses the weather forecast specifically with deer hunting in mind. These are more broad discussions of the current weather and major fronts or storm systems expected to move through over the next several days. Forecasts are generally made on a weekly basis, sometimes more often if there is significant weather expected. I try to make my forecasts simple and informative while also providing the reader with some background understanding of the science. The forecasts are made by degreed meteorologists who are also deer hunters. If you're interested you can visit the site at https://huntthefront.blog.

There are tons of apps for looking at wind. Windy.com, SailFlow, Wunderground app, just to name a few.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:58 am

weatherdude wrote:For point forecast information I would go to the National Weather Service, or you can go right to a data source and look at some weather models at either [url]weather.cod.edu[/url] or http://www.pivotalweather.com. I think for general purposes Wunderground is sufficient for point forecasts. I, however, will always complain about Wunderground/Accuweather and other such sites because more often than not they just plug a model forecast in for a million locations across the country and there's not much actual meteorology involved. In contrast, each NWS office is responsible for only parts of a single state so these forecasts are going to be made with much more attention to that specific location. BUT, Wunderground is pretty great for monitoring current conditions because they include 100s of thousands of personal weather stations across the country into their data maps. That is, of course, assuming you trust people to properly calibrate their personal weather stations.

I run a website that discusses the weather forecast specifically with deer hunting in mind. These are more broad discussions of the current weather and major fronts or storm systems expected to move through over the next several days. Forecasts are generally made on a weekly basis, sometimes more often if there is significant weather expected. I try to make my forecasts simple and informative while also providing the reader with some background understanding of the science. The forecasts are made by degreed meteorologists who are also deer hunters. If you're interested you can visit the site at https://huntthefront.blog.

There are tons of apps for looking at wind. Windy.com, SailFlow, Wunderground app, just to name a few.

I have become increasingly frustrated by the accuracy of wunderground's forcast. Must be because of the modeling as you describe. The 3 day accuracy is really poor. The NWS is more accurate without a doubt. I have been starting to use timeanddate.com as well. Seems to be better than wunderground.

But what I still really want is a graphical display of major indicators (temp, pressure, wind) like wunderground and the defunct weatherspart.com....that also contains historical weather in the same format. :D
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 am

JoeRE wrote:
weatherdude wrote:For point forecast information I would go to the National Weather Service, or you can go right to a data source and look at some weather models at either [url]weather.cod.edu[/url] or http://www.pivotalweather.com. I think for general purposes Wunderground is sufficient for point forecasts. I, however, will always complain about Wunderground/Accuweather and other such sites because more often than not they just plug a model forecast in for a million locations across the country and there's not much actual meteorology involved. In contrast, each NWS office is responsible for only parts of a single state so these forecasts are going to be made with much more attention to that specific location. BUT, Wunderground is pretty great for monitoring current conditions because they include 100s of thousands of personal weather stations across the country into their data maps. That is, of course, assuming you trust people to properly calibrate their personal weather stations.

I have become increasingly frustrated by the accuracy of wunderground's forcast. Must be because of the modeling as you describe. The 3 day accuracy is really poor. The NWS is more accurate without a doubt. I have been starting to use timeanddate.com as well. Seems to be better than wunderground.

But what I still really want is a graphical display of major indicators (temp, pressure, wind) like wunderground and the defunct weatherspart.com....that also contains historical weather in the same format. :D

You could try checking out some surface data plots from various entities within the NWS. One source you could try is the SPC surface analysis page http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/surfaceMaps/, or the WPC also has a pretty good surface station resource here : http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfc-zoom.php. These are about as good as it gets for accurate real-time data in the form of a map. The SPC version will show you temperature, pressure, and wind and if you scroll down on that page there is a graphic explaining how to read the station plots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”