new hunting grounds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ahab

new hunting grounds

Unread postby Ahab » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Im a new hunter. I recently got permission to hunt a 150 acre "farm" 1.5 hrs from my home. I went for my first visit last sunday.

Its more of a hobby farm. No crops, lots of scrub/brush/hay. It has lots of rolling hills, creek bottoms, bushes, fence rows, trees, ravines, etc. In short it looks like big bucks could be bedded up anywhere and everywhere.

There are 2 wooded lots on the property, one at the very far end, and one on the top side, 1/2 way down. Because I had very little idea what the lay of the land was before I got there, I picked a corner of one of the wood lots as a likely spot to set up.

Once I got there I and I fully realized that bucks could be holed up just about everywhere, I wasn't sure of my plan. I slowly made my way there anyway, and sure enough I bumped a doe on my way there. She had been bedded in the tall grass and she saw me and bounced away, blowing up a storm. I thought there was no way I would see any more deer, but I climbed a tree and set up anyway. 25 mins later another doe came past me with her fawn. I was NOT ready for this and I kinda fumbled around around getting my bow. She figured out I was there, and stomped, then ran away, and blew a whole bunch. Now I figured there was 0 chance I see anymore deer, but I hung around.

I ended up seeing 6 more deer in that spot, but no bucks. Thats a lot of deer sightings for me in 1 sit. I am heading back tomorrow (8 days later). A cold front is rolling in.

My question is: do you think I should go back and hunt that same spot, or do you think I should just scout the whole property and try and find the buck beds?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: new hunting grounds

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Find out when the rut is in your area... Sounds like u have a lot of does so eventually the bucks are gonna come calling. What u don't wanna do is educate those does that they are being hunted. I would watch from a distance to try to determine patterns. once I got a pretty good feel I would bust out the maps and find the sweet spot.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”