Roll Call Ground Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CallMeFishmael

Re: Roll Call Ground Hunters

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am

Yeah, that would work for sure. I think that would work better in a tree stand than mine would too. I have regular camo to wear in the tree so the deer don't wonder how that bush ended up in the tree. :lol:

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Saw a guy post up pics of his ghost blind on FB today. Looked pretty sweet. Guy I graduated with has one and said it works good. Anyone ever use one? Sure would be nice for those open areas.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:05 pm

In the right situation I do. A lot of my hill country spots have a natural blind on the downhill side, so I can move quickly and quietly when the thermals drop. I like to set my lw at ground level so my feet don’t make noise on the ground
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:32 am

Well I ordered a ghillie yesterday from amazon!!! I really think it will open more setups for me. I have a great power line right of way that is on fire during the rut but absolutely no stand trees to set up in. It was only 35 bucks so I went ahead and placed the order it will be here tomorrow!!!
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:01 am

Lockdown wrote:Saw a guy post up pics of his ghost blind on FB today. Looked pretty sweet. Guy I graduated with has one and said it works good. Anyone ever use one? Sure would be nice for those open areas.

I know a guy who has had one since they first came out he swears by them
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 am

Reading this thread made me decide to try a private chunk tonight that is 4 acres wooded with food plot got a really good 8 hitting it and a bunch of does no real trees to sit so I crawled in on my hands and knees to within 20 yards where they come out sitting in a clump of brush call me crazy but let's hope this works :shifty:
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 am

Good luck! I hope it works!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:42 pm

I used jute and old kaki pants over burlap. Cheap, but heavy and time consuming to make. I went with the poncho with arm slits.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
jayhawk

Unread postby jayhawk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:57 pm

I am a first year archery hunter and plan to hunt only from the ground. I have a crossbow, bipod and the woodlands kill suit long jacket. I went this route partially based on what I've read here from searching all the old threads on ground hunting.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:15 pm

john1984 wrote:I hunt from the ground. All of my public land bucks have been killed off the ground. Don't let the deer see you draw your bow.

There is a great thread topic on the beast called Success from the Ground.,, I would read that if I were you

Hey man you don't have a link directly to that thread do you? I can find the post when I do a forum search but then all the occurrences of "ground" are highlighted, making it very distracting to read.
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Ognennyy wrote:
john1984 wrote:I hunt from the ground. All of my public land bucks have been killed off the ground. Don't let the deer see you draw your bow.

There is a great thread topic on the beast called Success from the Ground.,, I would read that if I were you

Hey man you don't have a link directly to that thread do you? I can find the post when I do a forum search but then all the occurrences of "ground" are highlighted, making it very distracting to read.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29460
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 am

CallMeFishmael wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=29460

Thanks man. Much appreciated.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 am

mathews418 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Here’s a link to success from the ground. Lot of reading in there!!

I’m in the process of getting pics added back in.
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... 0&start=75

Thanks Lockdown. There is a guy on YouTube that goes by the name Bowninja or Bowhuntingninja or something to that affect. I believe he is in Pa and that is all he does is bow hunt from the ground.

Bowninja hunts in suburban New Jersey. He has some great info. Many people raise getting busted while drawing their bow as an issue for ground hunting. Bowninja has the general idea... he sits with his bow in the ready position. So he's set up for the absolute minimal amount of motion required when it comes to kill time. Very effective.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:31 am

Been hunting from the ground since I started hunting. Love it most of the time.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Had a 16 inch wide 8 point at 30 yards this evening on my first beast style buck bed hunting ground sit. Just wasn't quite what I was looking for on that property... He got 10 yards before I threw a piece of bark at him to scare him away before he caught my scent. Pretty cool. My plan worked, just not the right buck.

Will be back on the ground tomorrow morning at another property...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”