Roll Call Ground Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CallMeFishmael

Re: Roll Call Ground Hunters

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:44 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:
CallMeFishmael wrote:I hunt off the ground quite a bit. When I do, I use a crossbow so I don't have to draw without being seen. I use a homemade ghillie suit. So I can pretty much set up anywhere, which is a huge benefit. Last year, I almost got ran over by the buck I shot because it didn't know where the shot came from. That was intense!

I have a full bore ghillie suit but have never used it to hunt. Too heavy and too hot. I always end up in my leafy suit top.

Bob

Those ghillie suits are deadly! I have had all kinds of neat close encounters with not only deer but other critters as well. Mine is real light weight though. I can't use it no more cause my recurve is to long to shoot while sitting on ground. If u decide to try it, I recommend u cut all the stuff off on the inside of bow arm, and thin out the legs below the knees to keep from getting stuff all tangled.

Since I made mine, I was able to leave the inside of the arms bare so it wouldn't interfere with anything I shot. Worked great!

mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 am

Last night was my first hunt from the ground with a bow!!! I actually enjoyed it, although I didn't have a deer to exit the suspected bedding. I had a good wind and I was 100% confident if I had an encounter I could have got the job done. With that being said I think in may start ground hunting a lot more especially in places where a stand isn't an option, which was the case yesterday. There was more cover on the ground than in any of the trees.

Would some of the guys post some pics of their ghillie suits that you use. I'm getting to start looking for one!
Thanks in advance!!!
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:20 am

When I finished mine up, I posted a pic here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34655

I always have lots of ideas, but this one worked way better than I imagined it would.
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:11 am

CallMeFishmael wrote:When I finished mine up, I posted a pic here.

I always have lots of ideas, but this one worked way better than I imagined it would.

Very nice man!!!
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:27 am

Theres an excellent ground hunting thread Lockdown started a while back. If you're looking for info folks like JoeRe have some great stuff written on there. I think it may be stickied in the All time greats thread.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 am

I probably do 5-6 ground hunts a year, did one this morning. Can be lots of fun not having to haul the stand way way back. :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 am

Here’s a link to success from the ground. Lot of reading in there!!

I’m in the process of getting pics added back in.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29460&start=75
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:45 am

Lockdown wrote:Here’s a link to success from the ground. Lot of reading in there!!

I’m in the process of getting pics added back in.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29460&start=75

Thanks Lockdown. There is a guy on YouTube that goes by the name Bowninja or Bowhuntingninja or something to that affect. I believe he is in Pa and that is all he does is bow hunt from the ground.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:53 am

I think if you dead set on using a climber, you have to compromise your position to what trees you can climb. If you are dead set hunting out of a hang on, you are still to some extend Compromising your position to what trees you can climb. You can always hunt the ground.

Some spots I hunt on edges you have either a 7” walnut that is completely backlit to climb, or you can be completely concealed in a shrub under the walnut.

The only problems I’ve had with ground hunting is #1 It takes patience. Your view is limited, so you have to be ok with not watching deer. #2 Deer walking directly into your position, from an unexpected route. I find they normally get within 8’ of you and suddenly smell you.

I’ve found a turkey stool to be the most comfortable thing to sit on. It works on almost any slope, and keeps you low.

I use ASAT leafy AkA instant camouflage.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:29 am

I do a little of everything based on the situation. I try to make natural blind in the post season where indicated but sometimes find myself in a different area without anything. My dad isn't as mobile as he was 20-30 years ago and now hunts exclusively from the ground and has had great encounters. My brothers and i have managed 4 good bucks on the ground in the past few years. Ground hunting is tough with your scent. I find ground hunting more productive during the rut when deer are moving more. I like be hunting with a stand and like the sight advantage with a stand. A lot less room for error on the ground.
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:39 am

Here is a picture of me in a field with my homemade ghillie suit on. I just knelt down and wasn't trying to conceal myself. The second one, I was standing straight up.

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/album ... 172339.jpg

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/album ... 172206.jpg

Cannot get the images to upload...still working on it.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:09 am

CallMeFishmael wrote:When I finished mine up, I posted a pic here.

That's nice man! Looks almost just like mine I paid for. Wouldn't recommend walking through public in that, some meathead might think it's the Legend of Wooly swamp and send a meat missle your way lol!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Master Chief

Unread postby Master Chief » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:13 am

Haven't killed a deer from a stand in 4 years.

As far as specifically with a bow my only suggestion is remember that shooting at a deer uphill is different than if it were downhill or from a tree stand. Practice shooting at all kinds of elevation differences. It cost me an easily P&Y 8 point
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:22 am

Trying again...Got it this time...The first one is me in a field with my ghillie on just kneeling down, not really even trying to conceal. The second one, I am standing straight up.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:06 am

CallMeFishmael wrote:Here is a picture of me in a field with my homemade ghillie suit on. I just knelt down and wasn't trying to conceal myself. The second one, I was standing straight up.

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/album ... 172339.jpg

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/album ... 172206.jpg

Cannot get the images to upload...still working on it.

Very nice. I didn't have the patience for that so I bought a finished one on mesh. I added some sneaky leaf to break it up a little more. The sneaky leaf is two leaves on a plastic stem with a small hole in the middle and they included a bunch of small black safety pins to attach it to clothing. I just tied the sneaky leaf in using the jute strings. They are made to go on a plastic "vine" which is useful for stands and monopods/bipods. It is great for breaking up that straight line.

Here is a link to show you what I am talking about.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-camo-3d-leaf.htm

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”