Roll Call Ground Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowjunky39
Facebook: Backwater.Hunter

Roll Call Ground Hunters

Unread postby bowjunky39 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 am

Anyone out here a ground hunter? No blind no stand just u and s bow and maybe a stool. How do u set up etc? I hope Byrd a few times like this and like it but I do not like the limited view.

Keep the wind in your face!!!! WWJD
john1984

Re: Roll Call Ground Hunters

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:59 am

I hunt from the ground. All of my public land bucks have been killed off the ground. Don't let the deer see you draw your bow.

There is a great thread topic on the beast called Success from the Ground.,, I would read that if I were you
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:12 pm

I've been doing it more every year. Lately I haven't been getting out in time to fuss with a stand. I'm noticing deer like hanging out in places where treestands aren't a good option.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Count me in... Im not strictly a ground guy, but I killed a couple from the ground in recent years with the bow.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:54 pm

I love hunting from the ground but I don't like being stationary when I do. The biggest thing is not to be caught off guard when hunting from ground level, that almost always proves to end in nothing more than a learning opportunity.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:00 pm

I am 100% on the ground these days. Just my pack/stool and some leafy wear. I have found that you need way less cover than you think you do. Just make sure that you break up the head-shoulder "L"

I use a crossbow on a monopod though and that helps a lot with cutting down my movement. May back is pretty busted up though so it's hard to get out these days. Too many aftermarket parts.

I use the Cabelas Ground Hunter pack and it worked out pretty well for me. It's not a 100% perfect pack but it does a good job. I have yet to find anything that fits my needs perfectly.

[url]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ground-Hunter-Pack/1932046.uts?slotId=0
[/url]

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:01 pm

I hunt off the ground quite a bit. When I do, I use a crossbow so I don't have to draw without being seen. I use a homemade ghillie suit. So I can pretty much set up anywhere, which is a huge benefit. Last year, I almost got ran over by the buck I shot because it didn't know where the shot came from. That was intense!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:04 pm

CallMeFishmael wrote:I hunt off the ground quite a bit. When I do, I use a crossbow so I don't have to draw without being seen. I use a homemade ghillie suit. So I can pretty much set up anywhere, which is a huge benefit. Last year, I almost got ran over by the buck I shot because it didn't know where the shot came from. That was intense!

I have a full bore ghillie suit but have never used it to hunt. Too heavy and too hot. I always end up in my leafy suit top.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:20 pm

I hunt on the ground quite a bit. I like to find really steep places or actual cliffs or boulders where I can sit on the ground in the morning with rising thermals and still be able to hunt above the deer. I am messing around with hunting below the deer in these situations for an evening hunt and dropping thermals, but have not perfected that yet... I don't use any special suit or gear and rarely have deer see me. I typically use a crossbow when on the ground, and compound when in a tree.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
CallMeFishmael wrote:I hunt off the ground quite a bit. When I do, I use a crossbow so I don't have to draw without being seen. I use a homemade ghillie suit. So I can pretty much set up anywhere, which is a huge benefit. Last year, I almost got ran over by the buck I shot because it didn't know where the shot came from. That was intense!

I have a full bore ghillie suit but have never used it to hunt. Too heavy and too hot. I always end up in my leafy suit top.

Bob

I am from Michigan, so unless it is the first few days of October, there isn't too much trouble with temperature. Mine is a pair of camos with jute string, so to your point, it is definitely warm enough. But I have had a bunch of deer inside 10 yards and they never knew I was there. I always carry it in to my spot though.
ckprax

Unread postby ckprax » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:20 pm

This is my first archery season and I'm hunting 100% from the ground for two basic reasons. I have hunted for 18 years from the ground with a gun so its what i know and I don't have the spare cash to buy a hang on and sticks.

I enjoy the freedom and mobility of hunting from the ground and carring less into the woods. I think there are great benefits to getting up off the ground too; line of sight, getting your scent up high, etc.

I am anxious to get a stand or saddle. I like having options.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:25 pm

I ground pound sometimes. I like the ground level view and anticipation of see deer at eye level. I us both a blind and natural Cover.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Is personally rather be up in a tree. I just don't like the disadvantage of sight from the ground and I hunted from the ground last night and didn't mind it but on days with more wind I'd feel better climbing trees with some cover noise. I respect the guys who can get it done on the ground I know I likely can't
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:02 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Bob

Those ghillie suits are deadly! I have had all kinds of neat close encounters with not only deer but other critters as well. Mine is real light weight though. I can't use it no more cause my recurve is to long to shoot while sitting on ground. If u decide to try it, I recommend u cut all the stuff off on the inside of bow arm, and thin out the legs below the knees to keep from getting stuff all tangled.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:33 am

4 out of my last 7 bow kills were from the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”