Sledding a deer out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Sledding a deer out

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:37 am

rempse2 wrote:I use the Deer Sleigh'r Sled. Works works well for my needs. Rolls up of for easy storage and carry.

X2

I have used mine on a number of larger bucks and so far it has been the best option for sleds that I have used. Very streamlined and doesn't catch on anything. I modified mine like the above post by adding a piece of 2 foot tubing for a pull handle.

littlewolf

Unread postby littlewolf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:12 am

If you are looking for a packable one, check this one out http://www.deadsled.com/

I bought one of these from Cabela's years ago and it has held up surprisingly well. Comes in real handy on long public land drags. Only weighs a couple pounds.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:46 am

I hauled a buck out last season with a jet sled and it didn't feel like it made a difference. I was totally burnt out and sweating bullets by the time I got out of the woods. I wonder if a longer tow rope would help?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:55 am

Hawthorne wrote:Image

Home Depot deer sled. Worked great on this doe! I have a jet sled also. The Home Depot goes thru thick stuff better with the rounded front

All things considered, which sled would you pick if you were buying one? I was given a home depot gift card and was looking at a sled like the one in your picture and one that's similar to a jet sled. The one similar to a jet sled is almost double in price.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:56 am

Double post.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 am

Nelson87 wrote:

Home Depot deer sled. Worked great on this doe! I have a jet sled also. The Home Depot goes thru thick stuff better with the rounded front

All things considered, which sled would you pick if you were buying one? I was given a home depot gift card and was looking at a sled like the one in your picture and one that's similar to a jet sled. The one similar to a jet sled is almost double in price.

I would choose the Home Depot sled for getting a deer out.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:09 am

Hawthorne wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:

I would choose the Home Depot sled for getting a deer out.

Thanks. I was eying a hawk crawler cart but they're kind of expensive. I may buy a sled instead and see how that goes.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:00 pm

I have the one that was first posted.

I've had it a few seasons but haven't even unrolled it lol.

I often hunt alone and a long ways from help. I keep it in the truck bed with my drag line. If I need it, it's there... since I got it I haven't needed it lol.

I like it because it's compact.. it should definitely help with the friction and hanging up on brush etc.

When I hike in far... especially gun season and hunting on the ground, I actually bring it with me. I run my drag line through it and make a loop and along it across my back to pack it in. If I am packing a stand or hunting near the truck I don't bring it in..
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:11 am

The sled you have here works much better in any type of heavy cover than a square front sled. It pulls around tagalders in Swamps, aspen whips... any type of heavy stem density including the Cedar swamps I hunt. A square front sled comes to a dead stop against the smallest sapling and takes 3 times the effort to get a buck out.

To each their own!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 am

Singing Bridge wrote:

The sled you have here works much better in any type of heavy cover than a square front sled. It pulls around tagalders in Swamps, aspen whips... any type of heavy stem density including the Cedar swamps I hunt. A square front sled comes to a dead stop against the smallest sapling and takes 3 times the effort to get a buck out.

To each their own!

Yep. My family is notorious for bringing the wrong tool to the job. Gravel atv trail, they bring a sled. Swamp, they bring a cart.

A rounded sled works about 95% of the time for me. A cart does the other 5%. There is also a benefit to being 21 and very large framed, and a heavy weight lifter 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:59 am

The wife and I just picked up a road kill. I put it in my jet sled and dragged it over to the hose to wash it out. I wish I had that with me opening day when I shot my buck. I know it was only across grass with no obstacles and just mid grade hill but it was much nicer. My point is whatever you get will be better then having nothing at all.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:19 am

I have a jet sled jr very durable.

Perfect size to fit in the SUV it is worth the 45.00 it cost.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”