hunting beds in relation to wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mihunt44

hunting beds in relation to wind

Unread postby mihunt44 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 pm

how do you determine what wind direction is best to hunt a bed that you have located during scouting? is it based on which way the wind predominantly blows in the area you are hunting? topography? trails? access? past experience?

also why would you expect the buck to be in said bed in a certain wind direction?

thank you

<DK>
500 Club

Re: hunting beds in relation to wind

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Good question!

When I first started I'd sit in the bed w a compass while looking the direction if he was bedded there. I'd take the 3 possible directions that would be coming over his back. This can be determined by the backcover location, outline of his bed should show a more rounded side or by his sight/vantage direction.

For just starting try checking out wind finder to see wind stats for hunting months and the whole year. The matches will generally be easier to find beds. Everyone needs beds for all winds. That will come w time and scouting. For just starting though concentrate on the top 2 winds. For me that would be NW / SE.
mihunt44

Unread postby mihunt44 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:06 am

that's good info, thank you
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:16 am

Depends on what type of terrain youre hunting too. Wind based bedding is more predictable in hill country with them being on the leeward side IMO.

Some marsh or swamp bedding is wind based but at least for me alot of it doesnt seem to be. The only times can say for sure the were deer bedding in relation to the wind in this terrain is when they have been bedded on the transition of a mature woods and marsh/swamp. They like to smell the woods because thats where most hunters will be.

ive also seen deer bed in a thick spot next to a parking lot with them watching the parking lot and the wind blowing over their back. They can smell/hear anything behind them and see/hear anything in front of them towards the parking lot. That situation is tough to hunt though.

One last thing, you cant say "never" and you cant say "always" in relation to deer hunting :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”