How Do Rivers Affect the Wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

How Do Rivers Affect the Wind?

Unread postby The Silence » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I found an awesome hidey-hole for a mature buck and I'm trying to figure out an access route into the area. This is the first year I'm hunting this particular area
so I haven't had any personal experience with this place. So I thought I would get your advice. The bedding area is located in a strip of trees that is anywhere
between 5-50 yards from the edge of the river bank. The river is 25-30 yards wide, generally not very deep and has steep banks in that area that are between
15-20 feet high. The river runs north/south.

(1) If I come in from the south, and the wind is blowing from the north, will my scent stream stay within the banks of the river or is that dependent on wind speed
and the time of day.(say for thermals) Or if the wind speed is higher will it blow my scent up over the bank more.

(2) If I come in from the south, and the wind is blowing from the northwest, will it blow my scent up over the opposite bank, and depending on the wind speed it
will force it up and over higher?

(3) If the wind comes in directly from the west (perpendicular), will it basically blow over the top of me or will it create some type of vacuum that will pull my scent up from
down below?

(4) I'm assuming that what is growing on the river bank will affect things as well. Trees vs. standing corn vs. grass.

Just trying to figure this out for the first time but will definitely be testing things out once I get in there. I just don't want to educate big boy if I can help it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”